Can someone please explain the religious controversy over the Golden Compass triology?

I saw the Golden Compass movie the other day in the store and decided to buy it cuz it was cheap and I hadn't seen it before. Well I just love the movie and its all set up for the second and third movie, but I found out that its been canned because of religious protests. It's fantasy just like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. It's a very creative and imaginitive story. I'd really like to see the rest of the movies. I'm sad there aren't any more coming out :(

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 3:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The books are actually very political in nature. I have all three and read the first one. This reminded me I need to go back and reread the first and then the other two. It has been awhile but the book went on about how the church controlled too many things and had to be contained. It was an interesting point of view. The difference between Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings and The Golden Compass is that the latter book actually talks about God and church vs. the other two is put as good vs. evil.  I think you can take the books one of two ways: A) it is just a story or B) you can have kids who think about it and actually do some critical thinking on their own.  Not many parents want to choose option B.  Most parents say they want independent minded thinkers but what they really mean is they can think independently as long as they think the same exact way as the parents.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• it's because the author of the books describes killing God in his books...it's just a book so i don't see why there is controversy but that's the reason
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Calling the peoples souls daemons I guess,and the whole corrupt church theme throughout taking kids and separating their souls from their bodies. The book is more violent than the movie.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Aliishott2, if I remember right, that was the misconception and actually "god" wasn't killed, but he was taken from his protective room and crumbled into dust or something of the like, and that was miscontrued as god being killed.
    Anonymous

• no he's actually said in interviews that he hates being compared to the author of The Chronicals of Narnia because his books are religious whereas the Golden Compass was written about killing God
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I guess I don't get it. If your strong in your faith, what is there to be afraid of? It's make believe. Am I also to believe we are really in the Matrix? I understand where people are coming from, but we can distinguish between make believe and real life as well as teach our children the difference.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• They "kill" God. Christians no likey. LOL
    I have the book trilogy which I LOVE but found the movie to be disappointing.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Really it's more because the author is an outspoken atheist and his books focus on the ability to be moral without God. And it kind of paints God in a bad light. The "God" in the Golden Compass trilogy was not a God but merely an angel that was an "overseer" of the earth that decided to pass himself off as the creator in a grand lie.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have all three books and I never read where they "kill" God. However it is because it is a different way of thinking. The actually did throw a huge fit on the religious channels about Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. They just didn't get as far. I doubt the movies will be stopped because of the protest. I didn't even know there was one my friend and I were just talking about what an interesting movie it would make. We'll have to watch it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I suppose it's because christians are so severely threatened by movies, cartoon shows and fantasy books and the like. They are obedient little godslaves and believe everything they're told, especially by their priests and ministers. They complain about being persecuted, yet we who enjoyed the story and realized that IS just fiction will miss out on further movies from this imaginative series because the lemmings are frightened and are running everything over on their rush to the sea. I send a binding upon them all.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2010