10 month old not sleeping well at night

My dd is going down between 7:30 and 8 every night. I lay her down and she falls asleep on her own immediately. She will wake up almost 2 hours later sometimes sooner sometimes later and will cry. She has always done this since she was born and we could give her a nuk and she will go back to sleep on her own. Now for the past 5 nights or so when we give her her nuk she will stop crying, but as soon as we walk out of her room she really starts screaming. I don't know what to do for her. She will stop crying as soon as she is held and will want to stay up til midnight or later. Anyone have any suggestions? She has music that plays and also has a night light in her room.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son did this for awhile and we just thought it was bad dreams and bought him a stuffed horse that he still has to sleep with or he will cry until we get it for him and hes now 2.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 4:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• my 10 month old doesnt go to sleep until at least 11. sometimes 12 or 1 even if he took a late nap. and i always rock him to sleep, and then put him in his crib. i cant just lay him down and he will go to sleep.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have a 10 month old and her bedtime is 7:30 to 8pm. I asked 3 different pediatricians about this and they said it was absoltuley fine to let a child cry. In my eyes, you need to teach your child that its bedtime and the child needs to go to sleep on their own. Believe me I only learned the hard way because my baby was teaching ME! Because we were in the habit of rocking to sleep etc...I finally said no more! It is heartbreaking to hear them cry, I know and as a loving and nurturing mother it goes against everything you want to do but trust me it works. Kathryn cried for 20 min for about 4 or 5 nights in a row. Now she only cries for about 7. May wake up around 3 for an ounce or 2 of milk, (not every night) and then crashes back out till 7. Wakes up happy, perky and ready for the day. I also make it a point of routine. I always use the word bedtime so she knows that means sleeping. I hope this helps! good luck!
    petalhopper

Answer by petalhopper at 1:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2010