Hair dye question

Which store bought hair dye works best? I am dirty blonde but I dye my hair platinum blonde. Usually I go to the salon but I can't afford it anymore. Which brand works best? Many do it yourself dyes leave an orange tint which I hate, anyone know a blonde dye that doesn't?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 4:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Nice n Easy
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i just do to dollar general or something like that to get mine. it works fine
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I would go to a beauty supply store and ask some one. Some times you get lucky and get a super nice girl who will give you the salon dye and tell you how to mix it and prevent it from frying your hair.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 4:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• When I want to do it at home, I call my BFF who is a stylist. I always use Loreal Preference 9A(the higher the numbers, the blonder you will get) Also, do a test strip to be able to tell how long to keep it on. The orange usually comes from going brown to blonde. If you swim in a chlorine pool/hot tub, always wet your hair down first and add conditioner. That will help prevent it from turning green. GL
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 5:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• You may have to do it twice b/c the chemicals in store bought dye isnt as strong as salon products. (because you could fry your hair). It's hard to go that blonde with a 20 volume developer. (which is what most store boxes are)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I am a stylist and the reason why the store bought brands generally turn your hair an orange color is because they dont tone like we tone in the salons to get that nice platinum blonde look your going for. Luckily see that you are a dirty blonde your hair should be able to lift fairly well. Id actually go with the lightest color they offer , you can watch it change but this way your less likely to get an orange tint and worse case senerio you can go to a beauty supply store after and get a toner...be caution about asking questions because meaning of those women working their are not stylist an will mislead, they did this to my mother in law once. Just ask for a purple/ blue toner...purple takes out yellow tones and blues take out purple tones...you will need the solution that comes with the toner, this s a very fast process, you mix it up in qqual parts , put it all over your hair and you can see it remove the brassiness..
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 5:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• be cautious though, because if you leave it on too long it will leave a purple tint to your hair, but will watch out over a few shampoos...id also recommend using a purple shampoo to keep your hair looking nice. these are generally not too pricey. You should need to leave your air toner on for more than 4 minutes maybe quicker just watch it.. hope this helps feel free to e-mail me!
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 5:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2010