took castor oil, 3 times before reading about it 20 weeks,

nothing has happend from it it was a few weeks ago, I didnt educated myself.. NOW dont bash, just wanna know if it hurt my baby?? clearly wont do it again so dont bash on it..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• question.... why did you take it?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I don't think any harm has been done at this point. Have you had an ultrasound yet?? It should show if there's any damage such as feces floating in the fluid.
    Anonymous

• It's not the oil itself that's harmful.
    Some women use it near the end to try and get labor started because it sometimes causes contractions.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I took it and have been for a long time, I take meds which causes problems going to the bathroom, I have now gone to something else, but didnt know back then... just makes me wounder if it affected my baby
    Anonymous

• You are 20 weeks pregnant?

That early on the baby is JUST starting to develop meconium (his/her first bowel movement) the concern with castor oil is that it could cause premature labor or the fetus to have a bowel movement in the womb...because you too the castor oil a few weeks ago I would not imagine that it could have caused a bowel movement for your baby and obviously you have not gone into pre-term labor.

So...

I think you are good.

However, I would go see your OB...explain to them that you did not know the risks of castor oil and that you have stopped taking it but are concerned that it could have caused a problem for your baby. They will check you, the baby and hopefully do an ultrasound to be sure that everything is as it should be.

Honestly, I think you are fine. But pleaseee don't take ANYTHING without first consulting your OB to be sure it is safe for your baby!
    jcarvalho

Answer by jcarvalho at 8:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2010