i'm receiving insurance from welfare. will govt insurance cover the costs of an IUD?

i'm receiving medical insurance from welfare. (we're not receiving any cash benefits or food stamps, just medi-cal in california.. for those who might want to know ALL details because i'm on some public assistance) i just delivered my 3rd child and would like to use a more permanent form of birth control. i plan to BF so an IUD would be best for me. but i've been looking at the costs if it's out of pocket and it ranges from $200-1000, which i can't afford. will my insurance cover it? or will i have to use the progestin only pill? pls don't bash me just because i'm on PA. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Health

• Yupyup - they paid for my Paragard.
    Anonymous

• YES! I have medicaid and they have paid for mine both times and if i may say, it is so worth it! Not thought about it every day, its just there and it works you just have to remember to have it taken out in X amount of years! Mine is good for 10.
    XallieXkissesX

Answer by XallieXkissesX at 4:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yes it will. I hate the idea of an IUD, and would never get one. But when I had my boys I was on Medicaid and they did offer to pay for IUDs for me, both times. It was my choice not to get them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• They pay for all sorts of birth control. It's cheaper than paying for another pregnancy. Not bashing, just explaining.
    Anonymous

• Yes! Medicaid paid for mine and I am so grateful! Out of pocket would have been around $600 for the IUD alone.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about the med asst, but I have a Mirena and it's great. No need to remember anything and I don't even get a period. I have no symptoms other than I occasionally get crampy, but not too badly---nothing like a period. I got pregnant in Oct 07 and haven't had a period since then!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• They paid for me to get my tubes tied, I'd think they'd pay for that...if you don't want more kids you may want to look into a tubal...but you also have to take into account how long ago you've had your baby, sometimes they'll only cover stuff if you do it right away, not if you wait too long. I had to get on b/c immediately, or have my tubal while still in the hospital, to be covered. Call your caseworker for a more definite answer.
    Anonymous