HELP! Overwhelmed- Anyone have a hubby that works long hours & weekends? How do you keep up with the house & the kids & your sanity?

I feel like I never have a break.. I think I might just loose my mind. I have 3 kids & #4 on the way. I'm glad my husband has a good job & hours & I love my kids & my husband & he loves us to. I just feel so alone & overwhelmed.. With my hormones like this I'm getting snippy with my kids & it makes me feel like I'm a bad mom. I'm not going to do anything crazy... maybe put the kids down for a nap and go cry & pray for a bit, that usuialy helps. It just feels like the chaos never ends..self renewing laundry pits, picking up toys (kids helping thank god) 3-5 times a day, sweeping lasts until snack time, then it looks like I haven't swept or mopped in a week. Sometimes I feel like a champ, everything gets done & the kids listen first time asked with a smile on there face, but right now I feel like a drowning chimp. My poor family, I'm so overwhelmed & I dont' know where to start, I want to take a nap, but I'll wake up to this

ChristianMamaO3

Asked by ChristianMamaO3 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 4 kids and Dh works over the road. I'm lucky if he comes home every 2 months. While I was preganant I felt that there was no end in sight and that one of these days i was gonna curl up and not get up to face it all. Guess what mom?... We all get that way. Your not alone at all. Your dh is doign what he has to to make sure ya'll stay taken care of. Remember that. It is GREAT that your kids help out. Utilize that. Have them pick up the toys and if you seperate them, teach them how to do that... while they do that you sit and just take a break. My boys were very helpful while I was preggo, so much so they even brought me a bowl of cereal in med while i was sick. You are not going to be preggo forever, it will get better. The hormones are gonna make you wanna lash out but teach your kids that it is not because u do not love them. Your just wierd right now lol.

Good luck mom.. YOU CAN DO THIS!!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My hubby is going to school and working, so I know the feeling of feeling lonely in the care of home and children. Though I consider myself lucky compared to military wives.

Still - just go have a cry and prayer...there's nothing wrong with that at all. And then, see if you can get one of your gal friends (or relative you like) to come hang out with you this week. Adult conversation does wonders after the cry and prayer :)
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I know the feeling. He works like 72 hours a week right now. I am going crazy but yeah just put them down for a nap and have a cry and pray. Maybe a trip to the park would be a good idea for later getting enough time to soak in some sun is important and it will let the kids burn some energy.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My dh only works 40hrs however his new found attitude thanks to his friends is that kids and house work is for woman. So I get no help even when he is home. I don't know how to keep up, though I do know how you feel.I'm sorry it sux. I do get a break here and there from a close friend who lends a hand, so that may be a break to sanity for you. Good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I think it'll put it into perspective if you think about what so many military moms go through when their husbands are deployed for 6 to 15 months at a time.

Other than that, do whatever you can to make things easier on yourself, including teaching the kids how to help you out with the housework- simple things like dusting or throwing things away.
    Anonymous

• my husband leaves before i get up, works 10 hours a day or more and the only day he has off is sunday.. I understand not only is home life hectic but you never have time to talk so your marriage gets on the rocks. We made a rule that every other sunday he has to watch the baby and stuff give me a break. If you want message me or add me im here to talk if you want.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My husband works a lot of overtime, and on top of it he is applying for a supervisor position... so he is not ever home. I have one daughter, so the work isn't as overwhelming as those who has more kids.. however, I feel like I can never catch a break. I am exhausted, from what? I don't know but i am. My daughter wants my constant attention. i want my quiet time but that too seems impossible. She doesn't take naps... so that's hard. Once she is back in school next week, I will get some time to myself for about 3 hours.. (she's in part time kindergarten). Once she is in school full time. i will be praising the good Lord every waking moment. will have so much free time I will be the luckiest person on earth!
    LiloViet

Answer by LiloViet at 9:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• DRINK Just kidding! You are not alone, but it seems like it doesn't it? Days are loooong, you live for bed. All I can say is nothing lasts forever, hang tough!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010