What can i do to stop my 6 year olds whining?

My daughter who will be 6 in august is horrible sensitive and cries about everything. Her father is alot like that. That's why we are not together anymore. it is creating problems between me and my husband. I am so sick of it, i am to the point i just send her to her room because i need a break. I feel bad but i don't know what else to do. We try to talk to her, but when she is with my mom for daycare, her dads, school, or other grandparens i can't control it. I have tried to talk to them but it goes nowhere. Please help me!

hippiemom04

Asked by hippiemom04 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her that if she can't speak in a big girl voice, then you will not talk to her. Then IGNORE the whining. Do NOT respond, do NOT do anything until she stops whining.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Discipline! I agree with the other two posters, tell her when she can speak to you properly then and only then will you listen to her.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• IGNORE ....the only thing you should say just once is ... I will listen to you when you are ready to talk in a polite way. Thats it , it may take a while but believe me its worth it! My daughter is 6 and we just got past it. The best thing is just to ignore her and walk away, its hard but try it! It will work. When she sees that it doesnt get your attention she will stop. Good luck
    lilysmommy03

Answer by lilysmommy03 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• A co-worker would tell her grandchildren "I can't hear you when you whine". That worked for her. I tell my daughter "I am done talking to you until you can speak nicely". That usually works but you must be consistent (I'm not...).
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My 6 year old step son is a whiner. I ignore him until he talks to me in a big boy voice and stop acting like his 3 year old brother. His problem is at his house, he is the youngest of 5 and treated like a baby (well of 9 because his mom has other people living there) but when he comes to my house, he is the middle child and is treated like a big boy and not like a baby. I give him more responsibility and it stops a lot of the whining.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I don't have the patience for it either. My stepdaughter is reminded that she is to talk words, not talk whine. If she continues to whine she is sent to her room. Her high pitched whining is like nails on a chalk board to me. I don't tolerate it.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• You know what worked or me tonight when my son was throwing a crying fit about miss a new show. I yelled shut up and instantly silence. I know as a Mom those aren't the best words to use but it works, instead of him crying and screaming for 15 mins about not seeing a cartoon that will be on five more times. By the way my son is 5.
    Anonymous