Did your mother teach you everything you need to know to keep a house clean?

My mother didn't teach me anything about cooking or cleaning. I was at a loss when I got married!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm still at a loss about washing/waxing floors. Literally, like I have a brain block against it. I have finally gotten a cleaning service that comes every other week. I can clean up a spill, but the whole floor???? That mystifies me.
    Anonymous

• Nope...I learned on my own..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• kinda. she made the 3 of her girls do the chores. and we could trade as long as everything got done. and i was usually right by her side in the kitchen, which my husband is thankful for. his mom cant cook. lol
    Anonymous

• No, my dad did. My mom worked full time and overtime, and my dad worked more "normal" hours, so he taught me. Well, my mom can't cook, so there was no choice in that one.
    Anonymous

• NOPE! My mom did in home daycare. so she always kept the house clean. I knew nothing. My roommate showed me how to laundry.
    hippiemom04

Answer by hippiemom04 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I learned more from my neighbor whose baby I was watching than I did from my mom. My mom was always busy with her books, never really cleaned our house either. She is more of the intellectual type that doesn't care about her environment. Except once in a while she would get frantic and clean all day. And then nothing for a month. But my neighbor taught me everything I know and she taught me well.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 7:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yes because she said I was too ugly to get married I would need all of the help I could get.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My mom taught me to do dishes & iron at the age of 5, that was about it. I think cleaning/organizing is something I was just born to do. I was getting paid to clean our house at the age of 7. I had 2 older brothers, an older sister & a younger sister who were all total slobs & I was the lone neat freak. My mom was divorced & worked 6 days a week, so she basically made dinner & took care of laundry. I taught myself how to cook at the age of 11 & was cleaning other people's houses at the age of 12.
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I knew how to clean, but I learned much better (more efficient/cheaper/greener) ways after I moved out and learned how other people cleaned. There are a few tricks of hers I still use, but she spent a LOT of time cleaning that she didn't need to if she'd only known.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yes, but it backfired. I helped clean and scrub everything so much when I was growing up, that by the time I was on my own and had a family, I was done. Now, I only crisis clean, and most days are not a crisis (my kids got me a picture that says that)!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2010