• In the Spotlight:

What kind of pain is the symptom of a blood clot?

To make a long story short, I had surgery on my ankle back on 3/31, and was told to keep my leg elevated for risk of blood clots. The nurse at the hospital told me the symptoms to watch out for, and she said that pain in the calf would be the first sign. I have a hard cast from my toes to my knee. The past two days I've been getting pain in my calf, but it feels like a charlie horse cramp about to happen. I can't massage it away or stretch it because of the cast. It comes and goes, and only twice has been severe pain. I just assumed it was from a cramp in the muscle, but my husband just asked me if it was because of blood clots.

Does anyone know what that kind of pain feels like? I don't have any other symptoms, so I'm not that worried, just a tiny bit concerned.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Health

• I've had one in my leg before. It was like a charlie horse that wouldn't quit. The pain was horrible... normally, if you get up and try to walk it away, a charlie horse will relax. This didn't- it was so painful I couldn't walk, I was on the floor crying and trying not to just scream.

My husband knew instantly that something was wrong just by looking at the pain I was in and took me to the er.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I'd be on the phone to the hospital, doctor, surgeon, someone, telling them what's going on and asking if I needed to boogie down for tests.
    Anonymous

• Thanks anon, the only thing that's keeping me from doing that is that I don't have any of the other symptoms that I was told I would have. Believe me though, if I did, I'd be at the ER just like the nurse told me to be.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It could be a clot. The scariest thing about clots though is that sometimes there are no symptoms at all or something so mild that it wouldn't raise concern. My husband has had blood clots in his lungs twice, and will be on Coumadin for life (he has a bleeding disorder). The first time, there was no warning. He had a sharp pain in his chest and just passed out in the kitchen when he was leaving for work. It wasn't until later that we found out that a blood clot had gone into a valve in his heart where it basically exploded. 60% of first time cases of pulmonary embolism are fatal. I understand that you wouldn't want to run to the doctor and panic, only to have it be nothing, but blood clots are nothing to screw around with.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My mom had a blood clot in her abdomen and the only symptom she had (at least early enough to have made a difference) was pain in her shoulder. She died because the clot blocked a vessel in her abdomen and basically caused part of her intestine and her ovaries to start to die. Pretty much she was poisoning herself with the dying/decaying tissue. She died very suddenly 6 years ago. Go get it checked out. The worst thing that happens is you've wasted a trip to the ER and some time, best thing is you've saved your life.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Thanks HistoryMamaX3, that was exactly what I was looking for. I know when you have clots in your legs, pain in your calf is always a symptom, but I didn't know what kind of pain. I'm going to call my dr, or whoever is on call, and see what he has to say. I haven't had the pain today, but if it comes back, I'll know what to do. I can't do anything to make this pain go away because of the cast that I'm in. Can't walk, can't massage it, can't stretch it, nothing.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Doctor says to take asprin every day starting tonight for 30 days. Could be a clot he says, but not ER worthy. If the pain gets worse, constant, or if any other symptoms he gave me arise, then I'm to call him right away or go to the ER. He said it's about 50/50 right now, either a clot, or muscle spasms.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010