What do you think of stay-at-home-dads?

It's still a relatively uncommon practice in our culture, but the occurance is becoming more widely seen.

My husband is becoming a stay at home dad while I'm becoming a working mom. He loves it. He's a lot happier as a SAHD than I was as a SAHM. It works for us, but a lot of our family thinks it's odd because they're so used to the "nuclear" family of working dad, SAHM and the kids. Honestly, he's better at the domestic stuff (other than cooking) than I am.

Do you think it's odd for dad to stay home while mom works?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I want one! My son in law is one and it works for he & my dd

Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I think that whatever works for you and your family is what you should do.
    If a family is fortunate enough to be able to have a stay-at-home-parent then they definitely should, regardless of which parent it is who stays home.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I think its fine whatever works for you guys. If you are making enough money for him to stay home then I say do what you want. My DH wouldn't be able to be ASAHD he wouldn't servive lol. But I say whatever makes the 2 of you happy.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I don't see it as odd whatsoever, but then I was raised by a SAHD. It wasn't purely by choice, though. He became disabled when I was 5 and was no longer able to work, so he stayed home with my brothers and me. I loved that he was always home, and we did fun 'guy' stuff together. I'm 30 now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Either way is just fine, Which ever parent can make more money should be out making it, if needed neither should stay home. It doesn't matter which parent stays home as long as the family can survive with one at home
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Where I am from, Men do not stay at home with the kids. If a man were to do that , he would be shamed and seen as weak and incapable of providing for his family. Its strange. Unless he is unemployed and looking for work. But for a couple to sit down and discuss for the husband to stay home and wife to work, very very strange. I won't lie, i would be infuriated if my boys get married and become SAHD's, its not natural. Mothers were the one's meant to be near and take care of the kids in the first few years of life while Daddy is out there working. Now before someone twists my words, this is only about SAHD'S not working mom's. A two parent working household is perfectly fine.
    Anonymous

• if that is what works. but i love being a SAHM... i think that if the mom wants to stay home, if at all possible, she should. but if its flipped, why not? i dont plan on being strictly SAH forever, just til my ds starts school in a couple of years, then we will both work.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I guess it's fine if that's what works for your family. However, I only know of 2 families with a SAHD and the dads are pathetic,wimpy, lazy excuses for men. They don't cook, and their wives have them completely whipped. The one wife I know has nothing nice or respectful to say about her husband, she just puts him down and insults him. It's sad. I sure wouldn't want my boys growing up with a role model like that.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My DH and I are BOTH at home parents... That's the joy of working from home

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it. One of my good friends is in that situation and it works. Everyone in the family is happy. Another family I know should be in that situation. Instead, the wife quit her job (which had the insurance). The husband can only find jobs with no insurance and frequently gets fired and the husband and 1 child have medical conditions.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2010