I guess my SIL got married last night... at the couthouse... but she has converted to Islam...so...?

I was under the impression that muslims had to go through a specific religion ceremony to be "married" in the eyes of Allah or whatever. They had an engagement ceremoney a few months ago... Im just curious as to marriage procedure for muslims.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It all depends. My brother & sister-in-law are both Muslim and they were married at the local courthouse only because they had to have a Marriage certificate on file with the state to consider it a legal marriage. They had another private ceremony with their Muslim friends.
    Anonymous

• Yes, she should get married at the Mosque to make it "right"
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• NO! That is incorrect...My husband is a Muslim and we got married one night spur of the moment thing. We believe that if we know we are married and two witnesses saw us get married and we signed a marriage contract, it is recognized by God. What would people do in places there are no Mosques? Not get married?
    Craziirabbit

Answer by Craziirabbit at 6:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Well, technically your supposed to have a Nikkah. Which is basically a marriage in Islam. Me and my husband did not have one, we got married in court as well...and I think its good enough for us...Now my sister went all out for her wedding and had a Nikkah and a reception etc etc etc...I guess it depends on your situation.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010