How can I REALLY piss them off??

I know this sounds immature but don't reply with a lecture on how I should be the "BIGGER" person..I've tried that for 4 yrs now and it doesn't help...And they say if you can't beat em, join em!
I try to be nice for the sake of family. I want my hubby to have a relationship with his brother. I want our kids to know eachother. I really have nothing against them other than the way they act to me. I can't really avoid them because we are ALWAYS at family functions together at my Mother in laws. And I don't want to miss out because they are assholes. They allow their son to talk to me like I am a DOG, telling me to shut up and ask "how can you afford that?" He is 9. I finally corrected him, saying "I'm not your mama and your not gonna talk to me like that!" But they are so rude to me. I will say something to them or ask them a question and they look at me like I'm stupid and walk away. What can I do? What do I say

mm-mom

Asked by mm-mom at 7:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• id tell them they are teaching their kids to be brats and they shouldnt let their children treat anyone like that. most people get pretty mad when you tell them the truth about their ways of parenting. id also talk to your mil about it. mine would not allow that kind of behavior in her house.
    Anonymous

• I'd get up and leave every time someone spoke to me like that.
    Anonymous

• Hey be like my mom was they treated her like shit so she went out to the movies or shopping whenever there was a family event because she got tired of them talking to her badly. It worked for her because we could have a relationship with aunt and uncle and she could do what she wanted without dealing with the evil.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Well, acting the same way will only make matters worse. I think your husband should be the one to stand up to his family and tell them that either they start treating you with respect or you & he will no longer be attending anymore family functions.And stick to it! It may take awhile because this has been going on for so long now, but eventually they may come around. If not, it's there problem, not YOURS! Then if there are other members of his family who you do get along with, make plans to do things with them & leave the others out of it. Believe me, been there done that! Good Luck!!!!
    Anonymous

• just cus your kids have a relationship with them doesnt mean you have to. i agree with pink dragon. go get a manicure or something instead. instead of stess destress. or do the grocery shopping, that way you dont have to take the kids to the store.
    Anonymous

• Since they are your In-Laws, have your husband confront them and take care of it. There is no way for you to win this one.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Ugh, my SIL is just like this! Her kids are assholes and they are ages 5, 4, and 3. They don't share and yet if my daughter has a toy and one of her kids wants it, they rip it out of her hand. My daughter is almost 3 and she has better manners than any of her kids. I used to feel the need to put her and her kids in their place, but my daughter has been doing it for me by showing her that I actually teach my daughter how to share and be respectuful and now she knows she's nothing but a lazy POS>
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2010