Is marriage a LEGAL union or a RELIGIOUS union or BOTH? (also posted in Politics section)

IF it is a LEGAL union why shouldn't homosexual marriage or polygamist marriage be legal? Seeing as how it is always RELIGIOUS beliefs which seem to oppose these...

IF it is a RELIGIOUS union why are we required to get a License? And why can justice of the peace or judges preform marriages? Should only religious people be able to get married??

And IF it's BOTH, then why can't each group have it there way? Why can't those who aren't having religious ceremonies have multiple wives or husbands or a spouse of the same sex? And religious ones stick to their beliefs at the same time??

**Yes, I know this is a can or worms question. But I want to know honest opinions.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Legal and I am for gay marriage
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Legal and I too am for gay marriage
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Quite honestly it's can be considered both. However Gays deserve the same LEGAL rights we have so they should be aloud to get married.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It can be both legal and religious, but the legal one is the only one that counts.

Answer by older at 8:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Allowed sorry
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Oh I think it can be both. But everyone should be allowed to legally get married.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• When speaking of logistics, it is a legal union. Religion only comes into it when you speak of the 'spiritual" aspect of a married couple. That is the emotional, personal aspect of a relationship. It has no bearing on the legal aspect of marriage.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Literally, it's a legal union. People choose to add religious aspects to their various marriage ceremonies. I, too, support gay marriage though. My sister in law is married to another woman. They live in Florida, but had to go to another state (I don't remember which one offhand) to get their marriage license.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Legal, and I am for gay marriage.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It can be considered both - BUT I believe that the legal and religious sides of it are not dependent upon one another. Legal marriages are not bound by religious standards, and its not the government's job to impose religious standards on marriages, especially since not all people who wish to be married adhere to or believe said standards. The government needs to do its job and leave the rest be.

Legal marriage should be available to ALL consenting adults, unconditionally. If someone wants a religious ceremony chances are they'll already agree with the standards of that religion concerning marriage, and there should be no conflict. Just because someone is legally married, though, doesn't mean they have to be religiously bound. A legal marriage and holy matrimony are not the same and do not have to go hand in hand. One should be left to one's own convictions in regard to marriage and religion, and leave others to theirs.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2010