Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a Independent student get more financial aid than a dependent one?

I have to call financial aid on monday because i may have to reclassify as a dependent student instead of a independent because my parents claimed me on as a dependent on their taxes, which i can't get mad about cause they are supporting me and my son. but on the fasfa i took it since i have a son who depends soley on me(doesnt have a father) then that made me independent which now i am not sure about...any ways...I was wondering if I would get more money as a dependent vs indepentent...thx


Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Call the FAFSA customer service number and ask them. You can really screw yourself for not telling them about the change and they will be able to answer your questions. But, yes an independent student would qualify for more aid. If you file as dependent then your parents income is looked at.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

  • If you have a son who depends on you I would say you are independent in spite of your parents claim. In any case I don't think you can change the status until next semester anyway, but it would be smart to call them and check.

    Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

  • Normally well for atleast me and a few other people I know this is how it goes. If you live with your parents, are under 25, single and dont have kids your dependent. If your over 25 or have a kid, or are married your independent and use your own income vs. your parents.

    Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

  • The answer to your actual question would depend on how much your parents make. You probaly would get more as an independant student since you probaly dont make a whole lot since your parents can claim you on thier taxes. I would think that you would still qualify as independant since your son is your dependant. Before we got married, I used to file it as a dependant because legally my husband(fiance at the time) had to claim him as a dependant on his taxes. But then one symester one of the financial aid advisers just told me to put my son on it anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2010