Stage 3baby food

My son is 11mo old. He will be 1 may 5. Hes getting to where he will eat small bites of our food now and he will eat the graduate lil'crunchies....but to save my life i can not get the boy to eat the stage 3 baby foods that has chunks in them!! He just spits it right out & refuses, but he will continue to eat the stage 2, that i was feeding him also!! Should i keep trying or just feed him stage 2, and bites of ours?

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never did stage 3 foods. we skipped right to our food. it may be good to have some stage 2 on hand in case he wont eat your food, but i would try with table food.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• If he's eating table foods you could try some of the single serving frozen veggies. My ds loved the green beans and corn. I would heat it up in the microwave and he could eat it all by himself. He never like the third foods either, except for blueberry buckle :-).
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 9:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• id give him real foods that are just easier to eat. baby food is not a necesity. my dd was getting mostly whatever we were eating at that age and it saved time and money. just cut it into really small bites and give him the softer things.
    Anonymous

• My doctor says you should never use the stage 3 foods. Children sometimes choke because there is both liquids and solids and they tend not to chew it enough. He recommends just giving soft finger food.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Do what you're doing. Stage 2 + table food.
    Anonymous

• We never bought baby food; we just smashed up whatever we were eating.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• thanks ladies, that helped alot
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• BlooBird I think you need to get another doctor! I know many many many pediatricians and they all suggest baby food until your child can eat table food. To the OP if your child won't eat stage 3, keep giving stage 2 but encourage table food as well.
    Anonymous

• Yeah ANON I think your right.... the specialist in the feeding clinic here at childrens hospital have it all wrong. Why don't you send my you pediatricians name so I can get a second opinion.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• LOL Loobird and Anon !
    Baby food in jars is a marketing heaven. I now it is convenient, but it tastes nothing like real food.
    If he is happy to try soft finger food you don't need jarred food at all. give him some steamed carrot in chunks, peas, steam apple, raw ripe pear. At 11 months you can make 2 rounds of bread sandwich with cheese spread, cut into 16-20 squares and let him feed himself. He'll love it, canned peaches or apricots, give him a small bowl of yogurt ( not expensive baby stuff just regular supermarket yogurt), give him a spoon and let him go for it. You will be amazed at what he can manage Spagetti hoops, boiled pasta curls ( finger size the little shells are great) Mine all hated the feel of lumpy mush but loved anything they could feed themselves. Cubes of deli meat like mortadella. He is very very unlikely to chole if he is in control of what goes in. Good luck and have fun
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2010