My son does horribly at baseball. how do you tell a child that they arent doing well? I dont know what to tell him we all tell him hes doing a good job but he sucks, he cant hit the ball if his life depended on it someone please help;.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• depending on the age you dont. he will eventually know. maybe you should just help him practice more. if he is having fun with it i dont see why it matters if he sucks
    Anonymous

• work with him on hitting

buy him a tee to practice with at home

Personally, I wouldn't lie to him. Say things like, "that was a good try." Suggest that you think his batting needs some practice and ask him if he'd like to go out and practice, but don't tell him he's great if he's not. Kids aren't stupid, he probably knows he sucks, especially if he gets flack (sp?) from his teammates.
    Anonymous

• You know what,,,if that kid wants to get out there and try to hit a damn ball, let him do it. It doesnt matter if he is good or not. Isnt that what we try to instill in our children? Its all about the climb, let him enjoy this. He will have many challenges ahead of him in his life, should he be told he sucks at other things he isnt perfect at?
    Anonymous

• help him, spend an hour after you get home and make sure he gets the practice he needs. at least he's trying.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• give him tips, practice with him, and frankly if he doesnt care then just let him have fun!
    My son cares a lot on how he does in his sports and how to do better, so I allways tell him good job, and good try ect ect, and throw in a tip here and there to help him out, but don't make it a big thing, and give him five. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• As long as he is trying,,, don't stress,,, if he isn't good at it,, at this age no BIGGiE,, perhaps rent the story of Micheal Jorday,, once upon a time he wasn't so great at basketball! If he is doing somethings okay compliment him on that, and then work in your yard with him on the things he is not so good at! One other thing,, perhaps get his eyes tested>maybe he has depth perception problems! I know one thing everybody is good at something and the more your parents encourage you to try the more you are willing. So he may not be the next baseball star, but perhaps the next American Idol. or tap dancer, or inventor! Good luck momma and hang in there!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Why do you need to say anything?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• You dont say anything at all. You tell him you are proud he is trying so hard, tell him he is getting better at throwing, etc.

Oh and when my son played last year at 6 he couldnt his EVER. We were worried, my dh is a REAL coach for High school and was "overcoaching" him. lol Trying to teach him too many techniques for his age.

So I went out there with him and basically told him to keep his eye on the ball and to forget everything else his father had told him...(hehehehe) when he did this...HE HIT IT!!

Basically dad had given him too many instructions, so try simplifying it....tell him not to EVER take his eyes off the ball and swing. Hopefully this will help!!! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Thats because his still little! why do parents keep putting such small children into sports?! stop wasting the money and just give it another try when his 11 or 12.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Tell him what he is good at, like running or helping with something. If he is really bad and is getting frustrated, wait until he is older and can take criticism. I'm assuming he is between 5 and 8, I mean how good can any of the kids be really?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2010