Sleeping question

My daughter is 16 months old and I have been rocking her to sleep with a bottle for her whole life. Now she just wants to play while I rock her and won't sleep but doesn't know how to put herself to sleep. Is she old enough now to let her cry herself to sleep? And also if she wakes up in the middle of the night?

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i let my son cry his self to sleep since he was about a year or not sure he 20 months now we go in we hold him and sing him his abc's and then lay him down i think she is old enough. and the waking up give her about 5 mins if she is still crying then get her ,
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i just reassure them sit with them for a min and leave
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• at 16 months you shouldn't really have to deal with her crying it out. is she still in a crib? we put my son in a toddler bed at 14 months and it took him a couple of weeks to really get used to it, but he LOVES his big boy bed. There are only a few nights where he cries in the middle of the night, we just get up and change him and tell him we love him and he goes right back to bed. The first few nights before he got used to it we would come in lay him back down tell him NIGHT NIGHT and that we loved him and he would then crash out. If your daughter gets really upset by you not holding her, try a weening process. Try some kind of comprimise where she lays down while you read to her or sing to her. Good luck! I know this is a hard phase.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• If she is up and playing, it sounds like you can just change your routine. Try reading. This gives kids something to focus on (like play) but also encourages to let them hold still. We do bath time, reading time, turn off the lights, and then a few songs while I scratch her back.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2010