Should I be nervous?

I've heard labor is the most painful experience a woman could ever have, and everyone in my family is telling me to do it natural. I'm worried I wont be able to handle the pain and that I might scare my husband if I scream...what should I do????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You'll scream even if you use drugs lol
    Do what YOU feel comfortable with. Don't let anyone influence your decision. I can tell you...and any other mother on the planet will agree...that the moment your child comes out, and you see them...all the pain goes away...instantly. Everyone told me this would happen, and I thought it was bull...but it's true...it all stops when you see your baby. It is painful...I didn't do a natural birth...and it hurt...a lot. But trust me, it's so worth it...and you forget the pain and it all doesn't matter afterwards. I was very nervous. I had just turned 18 when I gave birth to my first child..it was scary...but I made it through, and I'd do it all over again if I could go back. Don't worry yourself, you'll do fine, I promise. Good luck =)
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My mom had the best advice ever. She told me "if it was really that bad would women have more than one baby?" She made perfect sense! And as pp said, once you see that baby it all goes away!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• not everyone screams....I have a friend she said she can't feel contractions. She has 3 kids the youngest is 14 months old and she went to the hospital to have the baby and the nurse asked if she new she was in labor she said no she couldn't feel it suposably anyway. Now with me I felt everything with my first I had an epidural. With my second I didn't feel anything with her I had an epidural I was achually laughing at jokes the nurses were telling lol. But I never went natural so I am not sure. Not to scare you anymore than you already are, but women are achually close to death when they give birth. But it isn't as bad as people make it out to be though. you will do fine
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• If you want to do it natural, do it. If you don't, DON'T! I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. It's your body, your baby and your labor. I had an epidural and I am grateful for it! Who cares if you scare your husband! Ha ha, he's not the one going through it. I don't recall labor being painful...but the pressure was pretty intense. I'm about to do it again on Thursday, so it didn't freak me out too bad the first time! You can do it!
    xxluvya

Answer by xxluvya at 11:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• im trying all natural and everyone saying i wont be able to handle it but i was reading on the drugs they have for pain meds and i dont want it in the baby and i hate neddles so the iv is all i want and what im going to try for after reading about the drugs they use good luck

oh an i also see it this way after you have the baby it will be wroth all of the pain and at the same time ill be proud of myself for doing it natural
    Anonymous

• Do what you feel is RIGHT FOR YOU. None of those family members are the ones who have to give birth to your baby so their opinions, although probably well intended, mean nothing. Explore your options, take prenatal classes and remember this is your decision because you are the only one who is going to have to handle what comes of your decision.

I can't give personal experience, I had a c section for twins that needed to come out early. Pain is not something I enjoy though so I would have definitely considered and researched the drug options! But that is just me :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• What you experience during childbirth is a combination of how you naturally deal with pain, your threshold for pain and methods you learn for controlling pain. One thing I would recommend is practicing whatever pain management technique you chose. I wouldn't recommend setting strict guidelines for yourself because I'm not sure why one would want to close doors on effective pain management (like drugs). Plus if things don't go "your way" you may end up with unneeded regrets. That doesn't mean you can't have a preference but just don't set your heart on anything. I didn't practice any sort of pain management with either kid. I got an epidural with DD (which was awesome) but I didn't have any time for drugs with DS (despite my pleas). The pain was practically blinding with DS but thankfully he came quickly.
    All the drug options come with risks, just research them well and talk to you doc about them. Good luck!!!!!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Thank you for all of the advise. It's making me less nervous already :) Good luck to all of you as well with your labors :D
    fireundertheice

Answer by fireundertheice at 2:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2010