Why am I having terrible period-like cramps?

I had my baby girl nearly six months ago and now, in the last two days, I am experiencing terrible period cramps that only come when I am breastfeeding. I have had one short period last month and nothing since. I should have had a period a week and half ago. My daughter is exclusively breastfed. I am wondering what could be the cause of this? Any help would be great. Thanks.

LadyInda

Asked by LadyInda at 10:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding has been proven to make your uterus contract. So since your baby is still "new" persay, it could just be that. But if it feels abnormal you should ask a doctor.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 10:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yes breastfeeding does make the uterus contract. I remember feeling that way, but I am surprised that this is the first time you are feeling it at 6 months. hmmmm..guess it could still be that though.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Thanks for the advice :) It does seem strange, though I suppose not impossible. Oh well, if it keeps up I will just go see my doctor.
    LadyInda

Answer by LadyInda at 5:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010