Loving a mentally unstable man?

I am in love with and hope to marry a man that is wonderful.. when he is on his medication, but off of them he is quite scary actually. He is never a danger to me or my children but to himself. He hates life and himself and withdraws and becomes cold and cynical and if I don't handle it just right or react at all to it he becomes depressed and suicidal. Does anyone else love a man with mental health issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Health

• i recomend joining a suport group for families with this problem. you will find more help there.
    Anonymous

• I'm married to a man with PTSD. He has depression and has been suicidal when not medicated. It's hard, but I wouldn't trade him for the world.
    Anonymous

• My Dh has bi-polar. Although I know he would not hurt me or our kids he gets very scary because of the way he talks about his life. He gets suicidal. We have talked to a few doctors and he has made it very clear he will NOT take medication for it... at least right now because of the job he works. They'd let him go if he had to take medication. The docs we have talked to all recommened he get help with someone who can give him the tools to recognize when he is having an episode and what to do to get back in control. Since talking about it and seeking help his episodes are alot shorter. They used to last for a few days and now its more like a few hours.

If I were you i'd join a few groups to help you deal with and better understand whats going on. They can give you insight that most ppl may not be able to give you.

Good luck and hang in there.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I don't have a man like that. But I have a close family friend who deals with this. His wife has a mental illness and has to be on meds. With out them thing are really bad. The main thing is to make sure your loved one always takes their medication. Sometimes they feel better because they are on their meds and they think they don't need them anymore, so they go off. You have to be diligent about the meds. If you think he can't or won't stay on them then I would think twice about putting yourself and children at risk.
    Anonymous

• Me n dh r mental health consumers the thing i recomend most is to be involved with his treatment talk to his drs n get urself familar with his meds n their side effects also like a pp said make sure hes takeing his meds the rite way n on time we use pill boxes n routin in my house
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2010