Is it normal for my 6 week old daughter to always want to be held? During the day when she naps i hold her until she fall asleep and then as soon as I put her down she wakes back up in about ten minutes or so

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh gosh, that sounds like the first 3 months with my daughter. BOY WAS I TIRED. She never let me put her down. Once she was about 3 months she finally started to sleep without being held. Yes, it is normal.....but it sure isn't easy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• You might try a heart sounds CD so that she feels like she is close to you. Lay her down and rub her tummy - stay with her until she drifts off and leave the music playing quietly as you slip out.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• She's been in your womb for 9 months. She wants to feel safe close to you. She'll adjust

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My son is doing the exact same thing during the day but is sleeping through by himself at night, except when he wakes up to eat. So I just get done what I can and give him as much face time as possible. He is smiling and "talking" and it is important for him to know that I am here and that we can bond. Take the time and enjoy it. It will be over soon enough!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Yep very normal, and exhausting ! Can you doze with her on your chest during the day - my babies all slept really well like that and I could catch up on some snooze time. Other things to consider- a baby swing on a very gentle cycle will help rock if you can't, a hearbeat CD or white noise of some sort - I remember putting my son in the laundry with the clothes drier going - 2 hrs of blissful sleep as the barrel tumbled rythmically. You can also try tucking her in bed while she is still sleepy but just awake. Gently pat til she drifts off. This is the first step in getting her to sleep independently and gets her used to the mattress while she is awake. Some newborns need to squawk a little to go to sleep. Don't leave the room, but you can let her stay in the bed and keep patting. She will have longer rests between squawks and then should go to sleep - Fingers toes and eyeballs crossed for you
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• PS I am in no way suggesting Crying it out here, just that she might fuss on the mattress and you should be there reassuring her with your words and patting her so she knows you haven't gone.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My daughter does it and sometimes I get upset that I cant get up do what I need to but then I think about my 5 year old and how fast the time has passed and he wont snuggle with me like she can. Cherish the time, they grow up extremely fast. :)
    Jennifer_wells

Answer by Jennifer_wells at 12:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• YES! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Anon :26 you might be sick of seeing the question, but this is OP's first time in the situation. You sound rude, if you don't want to answer the question, just keep moving
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• TRUST ME love that time!!! My daughter was the same way the first couple weeks and now she wants to play on her own. sleep on her own, fusses if i hold her when she wants to play. I miss holding her while she slept or just looked around. She is too active now and I just don't get it the way I used to. I used to say "i wish she would sleep on her own so i could get something done" i regret every word
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 1:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2010