Should I hook cable up in my daughter's room?

She's 5 and already knows how to work a television. Plus, on top of all that, I'm tired of watching cartoons pretty much all the time in the living room. My DH thinks we should wait a lil while, but I wanna go ahead and do it on a trial basis. Some help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kikismom04

Asked by kikismom04 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say hook it maybe in your room and let her watch it there if you don't want to watch cartoons in the livingroom. I wouldn't put cable in her room at that age because of all the garbage they put on tv anymore I wouldn't want her to come across anything that she shouldn't be seeing or watching. My mom is giving me a tv for my DD who will be 5 at the end of the month and a dvd player I will let her have that only because I pretty much will know what she is watching because I know what movies we have, but I don't think cable
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I would say wait till she becomes in her teenage years where they just want to be left alone. DS has a tv in his room but we only play dvds on it.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• id wait. if she can work it and you cant do some kind of parental control there is no telling what she will see.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I say don't do it BUT I don't allow tv's in any of the bedrooms.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 11:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i understand were u are coming from. xo my bedroom is next to livingroom so its easy for me i have cable in my room and my tv is up high he cant reach not even w/ a chair and the remote is away from him so he cant change channels. i only put on pbs, nickolodion, disney and channle 218, 220,223,228. ( there kid channels..yo gabbagabba, dora, ) and i will ask him which one do u want gabba gabba or thomas....he will pick.. he plays with his cars and toys ( yes my room is like a paly room lol ) but i can clean the downstairs and have something on t.v for myself. like price is right lol... w/ cable u can also block channels so u can block ur dds tv to only play certin channels.. just remember ur code and put the remote were she cant get it...best of luck on ur trial..
    Anonymous

• We have it in our 6yos room. He knows he can't watch it without asking (except in the morning, before we're awake so we don't have to get up at the crack of dawn.) We have blocked certain channels, and when he's lost tv as a punishment tv we block them all. It works okay.
    Anonymous

• whats the big deal??? its just a cable!!! i cant believe some moms deprive there children of one of the most simplest pleasures in life. of course you should hook it up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• If you feel like she needs a tv in her room to save your sanity, I would recommend that it only plays DVDs or just use rabbit ears. PBS comes in just fine with rabbit ears.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I don't agree with having any kind of TV in a child's room. ...if you don't want the cartoons on all the time in the living room then turn the TV off.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Rabbit ears only work if you have a converter box. Remember we are all DIGITAL now. :)

I wouldn't put a TV in my DD's room, BUT we do have a TV in her play area (our loft). I too get sick of HER shows, so I understand that.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2010