Plastic Surgery, For those who have been under the knife or considering it.

How did you explain or will explain to your daughters about self acceptance and the meaning of true beauty?But yet still went under the knife for implants or a tummy tuck or lipo.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My sister had a tummy tuck. What is there to explain? She had 3 kids and her skin was so stretched out, that it was basically baggy skin hanging off of thin little body. Kids can't get plastic surgery until they are adults anyway and then it will be their decision. Besides, unless you get stripper boobs, the kid probably won't know anyway unless they are older.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Who cares?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I am scheduling a breast reduction. I am doing it for medical reasons as my spine is collapsing. I have never liked myself the size I was. It limited my ability to run, do active sports or really anything. My back hurts all the time. I will support my daughter if she ever chooses to do this. She has a very small frame and is at 10 already developing. I want her to have her kids and nurse then if necessary I will pay if she wants one. Sometimes, it isn't about looks. It is about function...though I am not sure this question was addressed to those who are doing this for that reason.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I have recently been considering having breast implants. I don't just want really big breasts. I want them to be proportionate with my body type. If my daughter wanted to have plastic surgery, first I would want her to wait until she is old enough and mature enough to make that type of decision (well past her teen years). Secondly, I would want her to honestly look at her motives, and realize that no type of outward beauty enhancements can cure inner self esteem problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• OP here, I think plastic surgery is great. And I wonder if I might want to g thru it but I have 3 young daughters. That is why I am asking. In these days of the PERFECT body image for girls, ya know! Sigh.... I am just worried about my girls :o(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I plan on getting a tummy tuck after this baby. and a breast reduction. the latter is more for my cronic back pain, than to make me pretty. I want a tummy tuck because i have about 8 inches of skin that just hangs around my belly. Nothing I do gets rid of it, and its bothering me. Not because I care what others think, but I am uncomfortable with myself. My dd will know about it, but at 3 I dont think that she is going to care.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I've done it, the lipo and a mild face lift and no regrets. There are a couple of cautions though. First of all do your homework as far as choosing a surgeon i.e board certified, good patient reviews etc. Secondly, don't make the mistake many do and see it as a license to eat like there's no tomorrow. Even though the fat cells you do have removed are permanantly gone, those fats (trans fats are the worst) will seek out fat cells in other parts of your body and can make you look disproportioned. So, it's just as much about having good eating habits as well. Processed foods....goodbye and take the time to find healthier ingrediants for old favorites so your not living a life denying yourself the foods you like. I've never been fond of sweets, so that wasn't a problem and after all these years really don't like the taste of them or foods heavy on fat and fast food places havent seen me in over 25 years.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 7:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2010