Having an issue with Grandfather.

My son is 17 and doesn't have his permit or license. His Grandfather lets him drive his (the Grandfather) around town. I have actually caught him out driving in public.The car is not my son's. I confronted him and told him that he is not to let him drive his car, because I could be liable if he gets into an accident. He is a dishonest man. He takes things that are not his. My children's father lives with his Dad. His Dad goes into his room and looks for money or takes items that aren't his, then takes things to the pawn shop. My children's Dad has talked to his father about this, and he dosn't listen to nobody. He is one of those people who thinks he is always right. I'm at a loss, I don't know what to do. We live within walking distance from him, so keeping him away from his Grandfather is easier said than done. My son got a cellphone from him also, so when he needs him, he can call him. He had one, but we took it away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you should take your son to get his learners permit. If he is caught driving without one he can still be ticketed - if you call the police it's your son that gets the ticket and you could still be held accountable. Your son will 18 in less than a year anyways - at 18 they can get a driver's license. If he has a learner's permit it will take the liability off you. It seems easier than trying to stop the grandfather from allowing him to drive.
    My kids are adults now and I don't think taking the cell phone or internet time away will stop your son from driving - actually, I think taking those things away might encourage him driving because he'll have nothing else to do.
    As for the grandfather taking things that do not belong to him to the pwn shop - that's called dealing in stolen property and it is a felony. A police report needs to be made listing the stolen items - if found at the pawn shop an arrest can be made.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Tell the grandfather and your son that the next time you are aware of your son driving, you will call the police. It might sound harsh, but it sounds like neither one has learned listening comprehension yet. Or you could just do that without the warning. In any case you really need to get through to your son, he is your responsibility. The grandfather is grown, and is not your responsibility. Myself, I would start checking up on him very often, explaining that he has shown that he can't be trusted to make good decisions. Take away cells and internet access for a time. Just get through to him, before it is too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Your SON will be held liable NOT you. HE knows better than to drive without a license or permit, HE is old enough to know the consequences. Get him his permit. IF he gets into an accident, he will be charged for not having a license and he can be kept from getting his license. Obviously he can drive, so make it legal already.

As for grandpa's illegal manners...TURN HIM IN for stealing and pawning stolen items.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Your son is 17 and he knows better. Ground him!

And to tyfry, once she lets her son get his permit she HAS to put him on her insurance. Maybe the OP doesn't have the money for that or maybe her son doesn't have a job and HE doesn't have the money for that. A lot of people make their children wait until 18.
    Anonymous

• A teenager with a learners permit does not raise insurance rates. Insurance rates only increase after the teen becomes licensed. I know - had 2 step children and my own son - the youngest is now 23 years old.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 4:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Punish your son.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2010