Do you need a prescription for test strips?

I am 31 weeks pregnant. The dr says my sugar is higher than it should be and I should watch what I eat. I have a bayer contour glucose meter and would like to regularly test my sugar, but have run out of test strips. I know that walmart carries the strips I need, but I wasnt sure if I would need a prescription to get them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Health

• You shouldn't need a prescription because they're not a drug. They're just little strips that you wipe your blood on.
    They might have them behind the counter so that people don't steal them but you should not need a prescription.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• No. You don't need a prescription to get them. I buy them all the time just to keep track (I have a history of gestational diabetes). The previous poster is correct in saying that they are behind the counter though. They are expensive, so they keep them back there so people don't steal them.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 1:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Mine are prescribed and then I only have to pay the co-pay for a prescription. I also go through Liberty Medical, and they're a lot cheaper than the store. If you have insurance (or not), then maybe get one box to last you for a week or so and call Liberty Medical at 1-800-705-5797 and order strips.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• No, but it's cheaper if you have insurance to get the prescription and use that so you only have the copay. Just ask your dr for a script

Answer by missanc at 1:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• You do not need a prescription to buy them. However if you want your insurance to pay for them, then you do. If you have a Meijers near you, Their brand meter & strips are a lot cheaper than the name brands.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2010