Sharring rooms

Is it wrong to make my 18 year old girl share a room with her 10 year old sister?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you have an extra room where they didn't have to share I wouldn't make them 18 is such a leap from 10. When I was 18 if my mom would have made me share I wouldn't have been happy about it at all. If you don't have the room and they just have to share well then no one has a choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• If you have no other choice you do what you have to do. Personally o think all kids should have their own rooms, but it it is not possible for some people.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 8:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• The 18 year old is legally grown. So making her room with her sister will make her want to move out and get her own apartment. It is ok to me to put two girls in the same room. Does not matter what age they are. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• If they can have their own room, they should. If not, then they should share. But - maybe arrange the furniture or hang a curtain or something so that they can each have some privacy. Also, they should each be able to have so much "private time" to just hang out or whatever where the other one isn't allowed to be in there. (Like, say, 30 minutes or an hour a day where the other one needs to hang out in the living room or some other part of the house.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Oh, one other thought - if the problem is finances and not able to afford a place where they can have their own room -

I understand having your 18 yr old still at home (both my kids will turn 18 their Sr yr...), but, at the same time, at 18, they should be old enough to understand the situation, and there's nothing wrong with her either 1) sucking it up and making the best of it (maybe as I described above), or getting a part time job to help with the expenses, so that you can afford a place where she can have her own room...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• No, it's not wrong. Is she upset by the idea or do you just feel badly? Obviously it depends on the situation but plenty of people, for various reasons, don't have the luxury of one room per child or person. I had a friend whose family had money but they lived in Manhattan much of her life and her bed was a futon in the living room. I don't think you need to get an extra job just to solve this dilemma. People need a little bit of perspective... the one room per person thing is cultural, it's not an absolute necessity or truth!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I'm not suggesting that the parents get a second job so that she can have her own room. I'm saying that if the 18 yr old wants her own room that badly, then SHE can get a job to help with the expenses and contribute to the finances so that a larger place can be afforded.

Basically, it would teach a life lesson of priorities and that you have to work for the things you want, and just how important is her own room to her. Similar to when a teen wants some new fad item, but they don't want it enough to use their own money for it.

I do still think though that they need to be able to have their own space in the room, and time where they're able to have some privacy.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2010