The government can seek unpaid interns, but the private sector cannot?

(WAT):The New York Times reported that Nancy J. Leppink, the acting director of the department’s wage and hour division said, “If you’re a for-profit employer or you want to pursue an internship with a for-profit employer, there aren’t going to be many circumstances where you can have an internship and not be paid and still be in compliance with the law.”
The unemployment rate among teenagers and college students is at 26 percent, and if companies are forced through government regulation to pay these interns, companies will look re-work their budgets to be in compliance, and less students will be offered internships. This means less students can be brought in and gain valuable experience in a work place environment. The federal government is attempting to change the entire point of gaining work place skills and create yet another under – served demographic of victims falling prey to private sector companies.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is amusing to see the Obama administration creating the image of poorly treated unpaid interns, when Mr. Obama’s Organizing for America offered internships to help elect the president in during his presidential campaign and are still offering up unpaid internships today. The Summer organizing program also does not even offer food, transportation, or housing stipends

Thoughts?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• From the website, http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/sofaq/

Is this a paid position? This is an unpaid position.

Are stipends available to cover food, transportation and housing? Stipends for food, transportation and housing are not available.

How many hours a week will I be working?Summer Organizers will be required to work 40 hours a week.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• There are plenty of unpaid internships in the private sector.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• IMO, If it weren't for the 3 unpaid internships I had in college, I would not have had the diverse exposure to various aspects of my career field. I hope the BO Administration and namely Nancy J. Leppink don't tamper with these wonderful opportunities for high school and college students. My university even had internships as a requirement for graduation. If employers have to pay for each and every intern, this may hurt college curriculum's in the future. Competition would increase for these positions as (per the article)  less students will be offered internships.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

But, do you agree with the the Federal Government, BO Administration~Nancy J. Leppink,director of the department’s wage and hour department, saying~ “If you’re a for-profit employer or you want to pursue an internship with a for-profit employer, there aren’t going to be many circumstances where you can have an internship and not be paid and still be in compliance with the law.”

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• There are unpaid interns that are not government. Find something else to bitch about obama about. I swear you anti obama women don't sleep you just just sit in bed and have stupid made up shit going through your head
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• So, anon it's ok for the Federal Government/political campaigns to have a pass to utilyze free labor in the name of 'internships', but when it comes to for for-profits companies. They must abide by a different practice? Why is that? And shouldn't the university counselors, state(if a state school) and the students ensure the interns are legit and meet the criteria of a learning experience in the workforce and NOT the Federal Government?   Or is this because you are ok with rolling over and giving politicians and the Federal Government a Pass to behave in a manner of LESS quality they expect from the private sector?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think you suffeer from obama hate ocd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I swear you anti obama women don't sleep you just just sit in bed and have stupid made up shit going through your head

Yea, I MADE the New York Times and the Washington Times type these articles...::sarcasm:: And I did it from the comfort of my memory foam... LOL... You can hide, but your ignorance continues to shine... ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My ignorance you are wrong. There are unpaid interns all over in almost every field!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2010