What is so wrong?

About teaching children what the gay lifestyle is? I understand that many moms feel that is something that parents should teach and I totally agree with this. But when you have parents teaching them that they are evil, when they are not, and teaching them how sinful they are when they are not. Wouldn't it make more sense to get an accurate assesment of their lifestyle instead of one set of biased views.
This will never make anyone person gay but it will give them another view, another perspective, what is so wrong with a different perspective? What are people afraid of? that their children will see that they are not the evil people some claim they are? and treat them with respect instead of disdain? what is so wrong with that?
Wouldn't our next generation be more at peace knowing the real story? the story of differences in all of us, and why we shouldn't discriminate against anyone who is different.

Asked by older at 8:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I think, rather than going out of our way to teach them about the lifestyle, we should be more concerned with combating prejudice and discrimination. For example, I may not sit down with my son and teach him all there is to know about homosexuality, but I WILL raise him to respect and be compassionate for all people, regardless of how they may differ from himself. Having a gay best friend, he will be exposed to homosexuality, and I'm sure that he'll ask about it, in which case I'm more than willing to answer. But I really want him to learn to see and love people for being people, and not focus on those things that make them "different". I mean, I don't want him learning to classify people as gay or as black (as another example) - I want him to see them as people, to make no distinctions when it comes to mankind and loving everyone he meets.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree with you that we shouldn't discriminate, and that gays are not evil people. I however will not be teaching my children about thier lifestyle, now if they ask that will be a bridge we cross when we get to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• agree with pp, I am not gay so I dont think its my "job" to teach them that. anymore then its my job to teach them the lifestyle of a tribe from africa, or the ways of a group of people from the outback of australia...its not mine to teach. If they ask sure...but you ask why. that question will never be answered. its not always fear based, its what some moms were raised to believe. and if you and I have the right to believe there is nothing wrong with being gay, those same rights say moms can tech their kids its wrong. cant have one way without the other.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• anon, what if they never ask and get discriminatory views?

Answer by older at 8:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• DH's mother is gay (after two disastrous marriages, that is). our kids know it, but we don't teach the "lifestyle" - I'm not even sure how we would go about that. Grandma goes to work, pays her bills, worries about her job and her money and her car; basically, just like the rest of us. Who she sleeps with is none of our businesses, just like it would be if she were straight.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Ladies this is now part of the world we live in, we can't keep our kids in a cocoon forever, you need not be gay yourself to tell your children about differences. Don't you tell your kids is not nice to laugh or make fun of disabled people? that it is not right? without going into details of why they are disabled you teach compassion about others who are different.

Answer by older at 8:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• ply, you are right in so many levels, it isn't anyones business, but having the lifestyle being a discriminated and shafted side of our society has made it our business.

Answer by older at 8:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• what if they never asked? Well I would hope they don't get discriminatory views just because we don't raise our children like that, I was raise to accept everyone no matter what and I'm teaching my children the same way. My family doesn't care who you are, where you came from, they accept you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• way to go anon!

Answer by older at 8:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• (I meant me having a gay best friend, lol, he's only 2 and doesn't really have many friends yet)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2010