Do our kids need play coaches?

Right now schools in three States are starting to hire "play coaches" who will teach our kids how to play during recess.

Children are spending too much time with video games that they have forgotten how to play outside.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• O and PS, If I were a parent in this school district, I'd be raising HOLY HELL...Wasting that type of money when most school districts are facing shortfalls in their budgets and CUTTING things like GYM and MUSIC is BEYOND ridiculous!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Playworks, a California-based nonprofit organization that was awarded an $18 million grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, has placed coaches in 170 schools in low-income areas of nine cities, including Boston, Washington and Los Angeles, The Times reports. Schools pay Playworks $23,500 a year to run a recess program. In January, Brandi Parker was hired by Playworks to be a recess coach at Broadway Elementary School in Newark, N.J. Since then, disciplinary referrals at recess have dropped by three-quarters, and injuries have been reduced.

read more

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• That is insane.. Death of Common Sense in America
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• wow, give me 18 million dollars and I'll throw a kickball into the middle of a group of kids - they'll figure it out eventually, like we all did when we were younger :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My husband and I were the play coaches. I get so tired of people convincing parents they are incompetent.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• It sounds silly, how do children forget how to play? Don't the parents play with them, We do.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• It's sad, but I know a few people like this. They never spend time outside interacting with other children, and when they do they act out aggressively - but only with the kids that are smaller than them. I think too many parents use TV and video games as babysitters so that they don't have to teach their kids manners, respect, and to actually spend time with them. I don't know about hiring a whole new position to teach kids how to play. Hey, if it's a non-profit, can they make those coaches internships? LOL.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• If you thinks it's unnecessary go spend some time at a school play ground. Kids do not know how to play with teacher because many never do it.  TV and video games are the only playmates of more and more kids in this country. I think a play coach is overkill, but someone does need to work with these kids.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard of.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree with Beth.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2010