How do I stop my 3 year old from hitting?

He hits constantly...playing or otherwise. And I can't spank him, or slap his hand for hitting because what am I doing? I'm doing exactly what I DONT want him to do. It has stopped my sister from wanting to babysit him because he hits her son all the time? Any help???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for, but maybe you need to spank his hand and say not hit, owie. It might get the message across. Some kids can get very stubborn and not understand if they don't experience. If he is hitting say a 6 year old or something, you might give them permission to hit back, only once. If he realizes that the other kid isn't going to ignore it anymore, then maybe he will stop. Otherwise, timeouts. Redirection, he hits you say no hit and move him to a different spot to play. If he thinks it's fun to hit, he's more likely to keep doing it. Spray bottle of water, spray him with it to redirect his attention. Sound diversion, clap when he goes to hit and say Uh Uh loud enough that he will hear in a stern voice. Hope some of this helps. I use a spray bottle when I am cooking in the kitchen and my kids enter the unsafe zone. It's better then yelling and chasing them to make them think it's a game.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Smack his hand and then tell him that is how others feel when he hits them. Tell him if he doesn't want to feel bad then he should not hit other any more. Ask him why he hits too? Does it get him attention or is out of frustration. If you know why then you can take care of the real problem
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• How can I stop my toddler from hitting us? - BabyCenter
    Three things we do have helped my 16 month daughter reduce her hitting: 1) We hold her hands, ..... How can I get my 2-year-old to stop hitting me? ...
    www.babycenter.com/400_how-can-i-stop-my-toddler-from-hitting-us_500469_1001.bc -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I've found if you hold the hand they hit with, and say very sternly, looking straight into their eyes "You do NOT hit". Then put them in the corner for an unknown amount of time, and when you feel they have settled down, walk over and explain it again "You do not hit". Toddlers especially need to be reminded more than once that it is not ok to hit. As for time outs, I never time them because if they're still carrying on after 5 minutes, it doesn't help talking to a screaming child.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 1:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• You might check out a homeopathic doctor. They have remedies that are natural for behavior and health issues. You just tell them the symptoms your seeing in your child and they fit a remedy to it. You mix the remedy in water and have them sip it over a period of 4 hours or so. It's tasteless and easy for them to take. It's also very economical and effective. Eileen
    EileenMarie

Answer by EileenMarie at 2:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2008