what age can i give my toddler peanutbutter?

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did it at 18 months with no family history but I think 'they' recommend 2 or 3. I personally think it depends on your family history and your toddlers ability to handle the super sticky consistency. If you offer it early make sure it is just a thin thin layer. I think the chocking hazard is the biggest issue in my book.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• 1 and 10 months(10 months was not on purpose She tok her sisters pb&j) nothing happened and they both enjoy peanut butter now
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I gave it to my DD at 1
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 8:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• 9 or 10 months? we don't have a family history and I wanted her exposed early. I also ate it while pregnant. I didn't like the idea of not giving it to her until such a late age.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Our MD said starting at 1 it was fine, so that was when both of my girls got it. Of course, I ate it throughout pregnancy and we have no family history of allergies, so it might make a difference in those situations.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think it's recommended to wait until 3. We had no record of allergy in both families, except an uncle that became deathly allergic at 30. Weird, but she got a small nutter butter at a year and had horrible diarrhea and vomiting. About 6 months later, someone else gave it to her, same thing. At 3 the dr said to try it again, and nothing! She loves it and eats it often now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• my daughter had it before a year but we dont have any allergies in the family
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• You are supposed to wait until 1 year the same as honey and a few other things.
    addictedtoAVON

Answer by addictedtoAVON at 9:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• We had no family history whatsoever and I gave it to my second daughter at around 13 months (first daughter had no problems after a year) and it turns out she is highly allergic. I would wait until 2 or 3 if I could get a do-over. It's nothing to mess around with.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:54 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My daughter got it around 13 or 14 months. I wasn't worried about allergies because she was already tested for them and they added peanuts to the list to test. I was actually worried about how sticky it is so I put it on super thin. I also made her take a drink of milk right before and then made her drink frequently to help wash it away
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2010