solutions for bathing toddlers/preschoolers in a house with only shower stalls?

We've finally found the almost-perfect place in our price range, but it has two shower stalls and no bathtub. our kids are 19 months and 3 and they love bath time. They're both girls and they bathe together. I think we could get our 3 year-old onboard the shower idea, but I'm not sure about the little one and I'm not sure I want to make them give that up. Are there any products out there -- kids tubs to fit in the shower -- for this purpose? I have googled the question and seen some ideas with using big plastic tubs not made for that purpose, but I wonder how safe that would be with the plastic not being approved for contact with kids. What would you do, would you keep looking for a new house (we're renting and it's just for one or possibly two years, so it's not a permanent decision). Thanks!

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 9:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• What about a small swimming pool? I'm not sure how small you'd need, but it could work. I didn't know that some of the plastic bins weren't safe for skin contact.

I know we had the same problem when DS was small, before we had his sister. They are 21 and 25 now and to be honest I can't remember how we bathed him. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• You might try showering with the 18 month old. As long as the water sprays kind of soft, or get the kind of showerhead with the hose to help you shower them. Teach them to shower now, it's not like thats a horrible thing. Maybe get a small kiddie pool, or if you can't find a small enough one, do it outside as a treat. They can adapt.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• my daughter has taken showers with me since she was 3 months old
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I have showered with my kids since they were 1 month old, they love it. My kids love to play in the shower and they play together in the shower so maybe you don't need to give up them bathing together. Just try getting the younger one use to showers first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• It's not hard to get a kid clean in the shower. How about the kitchen sink? I remember my mom bathing me in the sink. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I shower with my kids ages 3 and 11 months :) They love it. There are even stick up toys and those bath tub crayon things in there they can play with while I wash myself.

Other than a plastic tub I don't think I've ever seen something like you're describing. Maybe you could invent it!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Just shower them. My youngest 2 hardly know what a bath is. All of my kids have had showers starting already around 2 months old with daddy - they love-loved it when they were that tiny and have never had problems being showered. You can get the shower heads that youc an pull down (they're on a hose) and you can also get shower heads that attatch to the same spot but have a stick-on thing so they're lower for kids and also detatch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• i had this problem when my boys were 16 mo and newborn. i just used the kitchen sink. it worked fine.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• We only have a shower as well and I started sticking my boys in it around 8 months - My oldest is now almost 3 and he loves showers and my youngest is 10 months and enjoys them too. I just buy the normal bath toys and bath crayons and such and they go to town.
    aritoyh

Answer by aritoyh at 12:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• what about a removable shower head that reaches all the way to them? that way they arent having to stand under the shower? and you dont have to get wet the whole time while trying to bathe them.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2010