When did your child start kissing with his/her mouth closed?

My son still kisses with his mouth open and it bugs me! He will be 3 in July and it isn't because he sees mommy and daddy doing it in front of him... I want to know I am not the only mom with a kid who kisses with their mouth open... I have worked with him and tried to show him but that' s not something that you can really show. What can I do?

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How in the heck do you kiss with your mouths open? Why don't you use some discretion and kiss 1) with your mouths closed or 2) behind close doors? Kids pick up EVERYTHING. It is your RESPONSIBILITY to teach your child that discretion is a GOOD thing. Besides, aren't you a little old to be practically making out in front of your child? I see no reason to kiss a person with your mouth open, not to mention sticking your damn tongue down someone's throat in ANYONE! No one wants to see that crap. Careful what you are doing in front of your child. You don't want him repeating this stuff to someone in the near future... it could lead to a DCFS investigation.... just sayin..... PRIVACY PLEASE!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Ummm... she said it was NOT something the child saw.

He will get it when he's ready. Most children don't quite understand that they are supposed to close their mouths to kiss someone. Try using the "m" sound - it starts with the mouth closed. So make it a game and practice blowing kisses using the sounds "mmmmmwah". You and your husband should also kiss this way in front of him so that he begins to catch on.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Anon READ it again!!!!!! But this time slowly READ it!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I do kiss my husband but not "making out" as anon put it, just a "hi, how was your day" kiss when he gets home, not a " I want you now" kiss. I do blow him kisses and he blows them back but he still puts his hand over his open mouth and blows a kiss and I have tried the M sound and he done well with making the sound but he just doesn't close his mouth while kissing.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Anon, you're a real idiot! OP: my son started kissing w/ his mouth closed when we was around 19 months or so. Sometimes I still get an open mouth from him but the "mmm" sound did help a lot. I kissed w/ my mouth open when I was a baby. A lot of babies do it, it's normal. Maybe try showing him how to kiss w/ his mouth closed by kissing your DH w/ yours closed you know? So maybe a monkey see monkey do type thing.

chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• my DD started around 9 months, but on occasion i will get an open mouth one. she is now 22 months
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 2:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My dd started closed mouth at about 12 months. I agree with most of the others m sound and try doing closed mouth ones in front of him with your husband
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2010