day 1 potty training boy - how come he's going every 10 min?

it could be that it's his first time in panties w/o diaper and we are praising him so much for peeing in the potty, that he's excited and feels encouraged to pee, and I'm also blowing bubbles as encouragement as well. but then i wonder if it's normal for him to pee every 10 min? i never would have noticed since he had his diaper on all the time.

can anyone relate? is it normal for toddlers to pee so often when they start training? he's 2 yrs and 5 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its a game to him, like you said he wants the "fanfare" of going in the potty. if you notice I bet its not alot of urine each time, so unless its a larger amt, every 10 mins I would just back off thwee rewards a lil bit. good plan on the bubbles tho, thats new to me :) good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• This was how my first daughter was... we trained her by going straight to underwear, and she was peeing on the floor, not in the potty, every 10 minutes. The first day she had about 20 accidents and the second day about 7... what had happened in that one day of feeling her pee instead of it immediately being absorbed by the diaper is that she started learning to hold it for a fuller bladder before releasing. Her sister, who trained even a little earlier, was nothing like that. I put her in underwear at 17 months and she went something like 3.5 hours before her first accident. I guess she had already developed that ability. So it could be that your son is not consolidating his pees yet... but then again, it could also be that he enjoys the rewards. I don't think you need to tone it down, though... he'll eventually get tired of going every 10 minutes. I'd do nothing to discourage any potty trips! lol
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Its just new and fun right now. Keep praising him but I would only do the bubbles (great idea btw) maybe every other time.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I wondered if that was normal too, but after a couple days mine really started to slow down, and now, about 2 months later, he hasn't had any accidents but we almost have to force him to go! Just give him a couple days or so and you'll notice a difference! (and PS - I'm not bashing, but in our house, panties are for girls, boys wear undies - my kids have yelled at us when we slip-up and call their underthings by the wrong term!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• OMG our son went every 5 minutes! It only lasted 2days, and then he realized that he could hold it and go less, hopefully it won't last with your son either. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• I don't remember if ours boys did, but I do remember the first time my cat found out that the dirt outside was just as good as using his litter box. I was pulling weeds and was not going to keep letting him in and out of the house. Every time he dug a hole and peed in it, he started meowing and wanted to be petted for being a good kitty. Silly thing, he's almost 10 now. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2010