21 month old with a head/chest cold will only drink milk...is it ok to give it to him?

i know milk is not good for congestion cause it adds to the mucus but he wont take water...i even tried juice...he just goes to the fridge and says milk or more. his wet diapers is depleting too. this morning his diaper was only getting full which it normally is ready to explode. and i just changed his diaper at 10 and it was only a little wet which his last diaper change was 7am. any advice?is it ok just to keep giving him milk?

oh and his behavior is ok...he is slightly cranky but he is playing some, granted not as active as usual but he is not really tired.

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that if it's the only thing he will drink, then give it to him. Being dehydrated is worse then having more mucus, if you ask me.
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 11:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• It depends on how bad his chest congestion is. Have you tried maybe pedialyte? The trick is to make sure he stays hydrated. If he won't take anything other than milk, then give him milk, but I'd exhaust all other options first.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• at 21 months you could even try a little gatoraid or sprite. I would try everything else before offering more milk.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Dairy is cut off during illness here. I really would hide the milk and push other fluids, popsicles, jello, anything like that that'll keep him hydrated. But the milk is not going to help him feel any better, trust me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't give milk at all. It tends to make kids more mucousy.
    mrs3stan

Answer by mrs3stan at 11:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree with kimmykim.

It beats total dehydration. Do give it strong effort to get him to drink anything else, but if literally all else fails, any liquid is better than no liquid.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2010