How to let my teens know the difficulties of being a teen mom?

I am the mom of 4 daughters ages 16-10 yrs old. I want them to know the hardships of being a teen mom,without making it seem that they were mistakes. I am 32 yrs old and have been married for 17 yrs, to my teenage sweetheart. It wasn't always easy but we are so in love with each other that we made it work. My 14 year old finds it so cool that I was married at a young age that she always says that she wants to have a marriage like we do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Explain it to them, you are probably an exception to the rules of things you shouldn't do during your teens because it has worked out for you when in actually is hard to make that situation work. This is what your kids will see out of this, heck it can't be that bad! Explain to them of the hardships and how things were for you, make them realize it wasn't always what they see now. Tell them they should experience life before one settles down.

Answer by older at 11:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• let them watch mtvs 16 and pregnant and teen mom. that will show them young girls their own age that had babies young thinking that everything would be easy and pretty and it all comes hitting very hard the reality of raising a baby alone. there have been like 10 girls and only like 2 are still with their childs father. it also shows how they will have to miss out on all the good fun stuff in order to raise a child. honestly i think that some parents can talk until they are blue and teens still have to learn the hard way. but when they actually see something that can go wrong like that it seems to make a difference, i know it did for me anyway.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I feel for you, because unless a bunch of women come on here to say other wise, your situation is kinda rare, it's great don't get me wrong I'm happy for you too.I can understand your daughter thinking it's cool, because it is.'I would watch a couple shows to show her how it is more or less.How allot of men are today and how they can say allot of shit to get a girl to do something they may not really want to.Daddy can help with that.As mine does with our girls.Do you have freinds who maybee didn't turn out as well as you all did?There are plenty of books ot there today to, real stories, or that show 16 & pregnant, those girls are missing out on so many things due to having a baby & being one still themselves.My oldest is 17 & I was 18 when I had her.Her father & I did not work out.Life isn't easy & i've taught my daughters that as well.I am honest with them.She is going to college in September.I pray for help to~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• i will say teen mom won't help much they will see that they will be considered an adult get treated like an adult but get to still act like a kid. They will think oh i can hand the baby off to my mom and go party whenever i want. Just tell them as much i love you and never would regret having you it wasn't easy explain to them everything you went through all the thing most girls go through ask her what kind of things she like to and explain to her why she more than likely wouldn't be able do them anymore. Tell her about the sleepless nights and loosing most of your friends because you no longer have nothing in common and people you have in stuff in common with think your "still a kid"and don't want to hang out with. How about how most guys act. Just explain all the sacrifices she'd have to make and all the hard ship she will encounter remember it wasn't as easy then as it is now.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• is there a place in your town where teen mom live with their babies to get help. if there is, i'm sure if you call them and explain what you want to do they might let her come for a day and take care of a child or two where they can monitor her. you might be able to call social services and ask them if there is a home you may contact. they won't get involved you are trying to prevent something from happening and i give credit you for that. good luck and let us know what happens.
    nana143

Answer by nana143 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• psh bring me over im 17 with a 5 mnth old : /
    maris1192

Answer by maris1192 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Borrow an infant for the girls to watch for a weekend, gives dds a idea of work involved and new parents a needed break.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 6:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2010