No more diapers!

DD just told me last night "no more diapers!" she's 2 (past friday!) and has made it clear she doesn't like her diapers. she flips when we change her and I know they bother her skin. We've been working on potty training. She knows when she has to go and will fairly often, but she just doesn't always care to stop playing in order to go! Common issue I'm sure but I'm a little stuck. I want her out of diapers, too, but I don't like those methods where you just throw them into undies and they keep having accidents until they figure it out. sounds more like a punishment for me than a learning tool for her! any ideas?

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 11:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• throwing her in undies may be about the only way. we used pull ups for a long time and she just didnt get it. but the first time she peed in those panties she realized she didnt want to do it again.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• my newphew was the same way. it may seem mean but let her wear her big girl undies, pee in them a few times ans she will stop. it will be ok and if she is telling you she doesnt want diapers listen to her. explain to her that wearing those undies means she needs to be a big girl and go to the potty
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My DD use to be the same way when she turn 2. She was a big sister by then so she would say"No Diapers for me im not a baby." So i didn't want her to have any accidents so i bought her pull ups. They worked but she would still say no to them because the were diapers she said to me again. so I put her on regular underwear & she has not look back scince. Just make sure you take her to the potty every 1hr & then as shes learning ill be more than a 1hr. Stop her from playing and take her becaue she is not going to stop playing to go use the potty. my DD was fully potty train in two weeks..yeah now she goes all by her self. Its great. Some times i have to remind her to go use the potty .good luck.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 2:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Go with the undies! Dd's been potty training since 2 (2.5 now) and everytime we use pull-ups it seems to set her back!!! The accidents aren't bad at all, really! She tends to pee a little, then run and pee on the potty but in a pull-up she won't even try to pee on the potty at all and won't take it off either (it's gross!) Dh keeps putting her in them when she has an "accident" and it just sets her back every time! When I do put panties on after the pull-up she always pees the first pair. Just keep changing and saying "accidents happen but lets try to potty now!" GL! She'll get it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Throwing her in undies doesn't punish her... it just gives her a reason to use the potty rather than keep playing.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Also I really can't see putting a diaper on her when she's the one asking to be "all done" -- she's showing the initiative and just needs your help understanding how to take the next step in responsibility for her success.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• well I didn't say it would punish her, I said it would punish me! to the other ladies, I bought some underwear! She wore them without accident but we started late so it was only for 4 hours...am I supposed to have her sleep in them right away? we didn't last night and I'm pretty sure she would have wet the bed. do you do it in steps or all at once? we did take her out in them and she did great (this time!)
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Sorry, I see that I did totally misread you... I wouldn't worry about night time yet. My first daughter trained at 19 months, and she's almost 3 and still has a soaked pull-up in the morning. My second daughter is 19 months and she's in undies at night now because she was keeping them dry pretty regularly. Kids are all so different with how they do at night, and I don't see a problem with keeping the pull-up or diaper at night until it starts to be dry. I'm glad it went well in the afternoon, good luck as you continue!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2010