I need advice from AP moms

My stepson is 4 years old. His mother lives in another state. sees him less then once a year. Calls him maybe (i repeat, MAYBE) once a month. He calls me mom. And yes, we're ALL okay with that (even the BM).

We were talking about his bath time and i mentioned that i was going to take a bath too. He got kind of excited and said "with me???" and i said no and then he asked me to take a bath with him.
well, i used to roomshare/co-sleep with him and i believe in breastfeeding and babywearing etc. But i have never bathed with him. Would it be ...inappropriate or odd if i wore a swim suit and sat in the tub with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it would be fine. It's just the same as going swimming. Plus, you ARE his mom and he wants you to.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• with a bathing suit it is fine! i shower with my 4 yr old son (he is bio mine but still) the body is nothing to be ashamed about and that is just a stupid american ideal. shame of your body. if the tub is big enough go for it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I personally would have no problem sharing a tub naked with a four year old as long as there was a good strong close relationship. I would not share a tub with my four year old neighbor. But my child I would. In fact, I do. My three and a half year old begs me to take baths with him. We load up the tub with bubbles and toys and go to town. It is a bonding time and a time just for the two of us to relax. Many good conversations about his day have taken place in the tub. If you have to ask then it means you are not completely comfortable with the co bathing and you suggested a swim suit. Try to run through the reason or reasons you are uncomfortable with co bathing. Then if you can work out in your mind why that is truly not a big issue, go for it. If a suit makes you feel better there is no harm in it. Personally, naked is natural and I would be more concerned about the message of shame by covering up.
    Anonymous