I need advice from AP moms

My stepson is 4 years old. His mother lives in another state. sees him less then once a year. Calls him maybe (i repeat, MAYBE) once a month. He calls me mom. And yes, we're ALL okay with that (even the BM).

We were talking about his bath time and i mentioned that i was going to take a bath too. He got kind of excited and said "with me???" and i said no and then he asked me to take a bath with him.
well, i used to roomshare/co-sleep with him and i believe in breastfeeding and babywearing etc. But i have never bathed with him. Would it be ...inappropriate or odd if i wore a swim suit and sat in the tub with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Since he is your step son, and he is 4, I would think that it is better for your to wear a suit while bathing with him. He doesn't need a suit though. How are you going to wash is bottom with swim trunks on?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I don't think so. I think its only the pervs out there that would even make us THINK of this being innapropriate. You are mommy and this isn't something you should have to even question IMO.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• At his age, and the fact that you are step mother, I would say that it is OK, but only if you're both wearing swimsuits. I wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers. And maybe call it water play, not bath time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• If you're both comfortable I don't see why not. My son's not 3 yet and he and I shower together. I don't anticipate stopping anytime soon. I'm not an AP mom, but I still think it's fine.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• It's in your comfort level, whats o.k. with you? If you wear a baithing suit I think it's o.k. but in the raw,hell no! I do understand.
    Anonymous

• I have never bathed with my kids, I'm just not big into the "bath" thing (I shower instead). But I can understand that in some families this is probably the norm. It all depends on your comfort level and that of the child. Since this is a step situation, I would also want to know what his dad thinks, and what his custodial parent thinks about this.
    Anonymous

• Sorry I misread and didn't you were custodial parent.
    Anonymous

• The dad is the custodial parent. And as far as he is concerned i am the only mom and would never intentionally do anything to harm our son.
    Which is how we all feel. i don't usually refer to DSS as my stepson. But in this case i did because it's the only reason why i'm not sure about the appropriateness of bathing with him (even in a swimsuit). I am fine with it, and so is DSS and DH.

-OP
    Anonymous