Someone please teach me how to not be a lazy mom!!

i have been in a rut the past few weeks. i have gotten lazy and i feel like i should and could be doing so much more with my time, i just dont know where to start. i dont want to spend the whole day cleaning, thats no fun! my dishes are washed up except for the dishes from our cereal. i have my 5 yr and 2 yr old kids at home with me, we live in the country, theres no library or shopping malls, or stores in our area. hubby takes the car to work most days so now we are stuck home. i am struggling to find things to keep them happy and occupied but i suck at that too! they have plenty crayons and paper and coloring books but they are tired of coloring. my 2 yr old eats play-doh so i stopped buying it. anything less than me chasing them around is boring to them. anyone have any suggestions to keep us occupied without being bored all day? i hate cleaning, my house is decent but not spotless nor do i want it to be. i have a messy DH

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• you live in the country, go outside! take a walk with the kids. plant a garden and have them help you. they will probably have fun with it. but id dig up a spot they can just play in too.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• play hide and seek
    or various different styles of "I spy"
    make your own game of twister!
    go for a walk and count how many of a certain bug you see along the way.
    go for a walk and collect rocks to examine and discuss rock formation.
    help them build a kite!
    sing songs
    start reading chapter books
    make different musical instruments out of household objects and then start a band!
    ...i could go on.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• OP - we do go outside but like i said we live in the country so we can only go outside for a few minutes at a time - we are usually chased in the house by bees and wasps and yellow jackets, if not being bitten by ants! we try to go to the park twice a week but thats not enough lol
    Anonymous

• OP
    i'm sorry but if you live in the country you and the kids need to get used to the bugs. ...wear bug repellent everyday if you have to, but that sounds like a poor excuse to me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• OP HERE - tell that to my DD that was stung by a wasp last week, what repellent can u reccomend that keeps them away bc i havent seen one yet
    Anonymous

• Honey if you live in the country OR the city you can't be afraid of bugs and stinging insects!! IF you don't bother them, they don't bother you. You don't have nectar. And as for ants you can take care of those in your yard. Maybe not your entire land but at least in the part that you mow and care for. You have to get over
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• lol outstandinglove you must have a lot of patience, i would be bored to death with any of that
    Anonymous

• My dd pushed enter lol...

But youre going to have to get over that fear. Enjoying the outdoors is what living in the country is all about. Explore it. Start a garden. Your kids are old enough to have their own small gardens too. Bike riding. Flying kites. You have so many options.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• You sound just like me I like the ideas above me but can't seem to get motivated I know you wanted some thing of an advice but I am in the same rut...lol I know I don't help any but damn I know where you are coming from :(

I have workout/dance videos that I can probably do with my kids and I know they would love it but I can't seem to get out ot this lazy feeling but I have noticed when I wake up and tell myself ok today I am going to do something other than sleep and be lazy and someitmes it works you just have to prepare yourself the minute I start to feel like being lazy I get myself up and do something but don't get me wrong I do give in to lazyness :( It is a disease...we need to control our bodies not the body control us.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• And I know you said there are no libraries close by but how close are they? At most libraries kids can check out a large numbere of books which could carry them for several weeks. I'm assuming you go into town at some point right? If a library is impossible start a book swap with some other parents of young children.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2010