how involved are you when playing with your kids??

i more so set up something for them to do and supervise. i just cant make myself get in there and play with them....am i lazy for that? i mean i will color with them, and sing and dance, my 5 yr old is reading to me right now! i read to them, the oldest reads to the younger. but i dont go outside and chase them or build castles or blocks with them i let them do that themselves. i just like to have time to myself so i prefer that they play independant of me. i would have to say that i probably spend more time on the couch and in the kitchen though!! does that make me a bad mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you have to ask , well thats a sure sign of you knowing that maybee it's time to put down the twinkie & step away from the remote..lol..As a child some of my own fondest play-times where with my mom, just saying they love it!
    Anonymous

• it doesn't make you a bad mom. ...but you should try it every once in a while. your kids will be so happy.

we have game night on Saturday nights and i play chutes and ladders and candy land etc. they love it! and i love to play on the playground with my kids. and they love it too. i don't play with them like that all the time but when i do it sure makes their little hearts smile!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• When they were toddlers, I played with them some. As they got older, I "played" less and less. I didn't want my children to not be able to find interesting things to do by themselves. I didn't put the puzzles together, I didn't fix eveything that wasn't right, I didn't read the lego instructions to build the structures correctly, instead I let them do it themselves. It taught them problem solving. They loved to "free build" with the legos and the erector set. They are able to sit and entertain themselves now instead of having to spend a lot of money and be entertained by someone or something.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I dont think it makes you a "BAD MOM" however I would say you might be slacking off in an area of parenting. I have a 3 yr. old son and a baby girl due anyday now and lately my husband has had to work many hours at work and we dont see him much and now all the time my son tells me to come play toys. So Im having to pick up daddys slack in a way because hes usually the one who rough houses and doese things like tumble around on the ground stuff like that and Im more of the play playdough, build legos and play grocery shopping type mommy. So its been a little tough lately with out daddy being around and plus Im so uncomfortable right now being 9 months pregnant so theres times my son wants me to sit on the ground for an hr at a time and my tail bone just killls me so I have to kind of explain to him that I cant do certain things right now with him. I as a mother know in my heart that one day I will look up and my kids will be
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• cont... all grown up and I would feel so guilty if I allowed that time to pass by and not get in there and play or spend quality time with them as there were growing up. So every time my son ask me to play, most of the time I will finish up what Im doing and go play with him cause right now expecially hes the only child and with daddy not being here as much it breaks my heart to tell him know Im too bussy to play which I would never do any way. Every now and then I do take a break and get on the computer or sit down and watch my hr. soap every day which my son knows is mommys time and he sits there with me lol. But my advice to you is try and make more of an effort, you will feel so much better cause honestly you wouldnt be asking this if it wasnt bothering you.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• OP HERE - LOL at the first post, i meant on the couch with them!! i could never sit down long enough to enjoy a whole twinkie alone and if the remote was in my hand they would certainly be turning blues clues on! my DS is 2 and im not worried about him, he likes to do his own thing, he wouldnt sit still to play anything but ball with me right now! but my DD is 5 and acts as though ALL of my attention should be devoted to finding ways to entertain her. she never wants to do anything by herself. and i feel bad bc i am always trying to get her to do stuff without my help. like she got a new bunkbed and was so scared to climb the ladder and she cried and cried but i made her do it without me and now she is so proud of herself for it! i want it to be like that with everything. i want her to sit down and do a worksheet without asking me everything, etc
    Anonymous

• i have fun playing with my 3 year old. id say independent play and me playing with her are about equal. she knows how to entertain herself but we do have fun together. if she's happy, im happy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I wear myself out! LOL! I absolutely love it. I get very involved, even physical. I'm almost like a dad in that way. I love to run around, wrestle, be apart of the fun! There are times when I just let her do her thing, but if she asks me to play I jump at the chance. My daughter is very much like me. We do anything from sports [she loves to yell touch down when we toss the football LOL] to crafts, and even make up! I love being involved with her.

If I wasn't, I would definitely feel like a lazy mom.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I had 3 girls then many years later had my son. I was younger when I had the girls and we played alot outside but not so much inside. Inside they like doing their own thing and with each other. I had my son at 35 and The RA has kicked in full swing and my energy level has dropped...I cannot do what I did with the girls....yet his dad doesn't do Jack chit with him so I still have to find the energy to toss him a ball or 2....I can't get back the past so even though I don't do as much I still try....it just ticks me off when my husband comes home bitching about how his son didn't go outside all day...well take him out yourself lazy ass!! I'm sorry I just get mad that I am in pain and tired and yet the very man who begged for another kid won't man up and be a dad.
    anyway enjoy your kids while you can,,,they will be teenagers before you know it and that is when it all changes, lol
    Anonymous