restless legs

I'm 17 weeks pregnant, and i cant deal with my stupid legs. I'm ready for sleep and their ready for a marathon!

This morning at 3 i took a boiling hot bath to try to relax them, but it only helped while I was in the water, and my husband thought I was crazy. I have an OB appt Thursday, any advice, or home remedies until then?

I'll try anything!

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Tonic water or over the counter pills that have quinine in them. Double check with your OB first. My OB was the one that suggested it to me..that was a few years ago. Things change all the time, so it may be a no-no now! It helped, but not the first couple of nights. I drank a cup or so of the water. I got to where I couldn't stand the taste of it though, so I switched to the pills. I always got mine at Walmart..they are called Leg "something"..sorry I can't remember what...but they were readily available and cheaper than the tonic water!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• My dr advised me to drink gaterade for the electrolites. It helped a tiny bit. I always tried to sleep before my legs started acting like that. I've heard to limit your salt intake and take a lilac(or lavender, I forget which) epsom salt bath will help. I take meds now. Oh yeah, CVS has a restless legs pill, you have to take like 4 of them, but they help more than doing nothing. I think they're safe for pregnancy. Sometimes just getting up and wearing my legs out some would help, but sometimes it made it worse when I sat down. You just have to see what works for you.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• i got that so bad with my first son. . im glad cami had some idead cause i didnt have a clue and it drove me nuts
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I've gotten throughout my life and my mom and grandma get it pretty often. My grandma swears that keeping a bar of soap in the sheets with you will help and so do some of her friends. Not sure how they came up with that.... lol! What I usually do (which is hard when your pregnant) is lay on my belly and curl my feet over the edge of the bed. It works the muscles, but not enough that it bothers you. I haven't had any problems since I got a body pillow though. I keep it between my legs and curl up into it. Best of luck... I know how miserable it can be!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2010