How much would you pay a live-in housekeeper/Nanny?

I am facing having to get a full time job soon. I have two kids, so i am prepared to pay $800-$1000 per month to pay for childcare. My oldest will be in kinder next year, but with me working full-time, I will need someone to pick him up and take care of the little one during the day. It would help me out so much if someone could just live here and help me with the housework and the kids. If I could pay $1000 per month and give free rent, utilities, etc. I think it would be a better alternative. I just don't know what to do.... What do you pay someone to do something like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't know, for 2 kids in daycare can easily run $1000 - $1200. Having someone actually come and live in may have an expectation of more pay.

Try some nanny websites. www.nannies4hire.com gives some good info, and a breakdown of what people are willing to pay.
    Anonymous

• Thats way too much! you are giving rent whats rent for a room in this area its about $500 for a room, untitlities around $50

ok so your rent and utilities not including heat? so far you are spending $550+ 1000?

Thats nuts!

how much expierience do they have?
    the reason people get a job is to pay bills, but this person wont have any unles they have a child, i think $6oo would be more than enough.
    Anonymous

• I am not sure what area you live in, but comparing it to the Atlanta area, that price sounds just about right. In Atlanta, a live in Nanny can expect to make between $200-$400 per week, plus room and board. The pay is more toward the $200 a week if they only have to work around 40-50 hours a week and it is more toward the $400 a week if you expect them to work weekend hours too.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Depends on if they are responsible for cleaning, and if they have private quarters with a private bathroom. If they have to share the main part of the house and/or a bathroom with the kids, then you should pay them more for their trouble. But I think anywhere from $200-$400 a week sounds right.

I used to be a live-out nanny - and I got paid $12/hr for just taking care of the kids and cleaning up after the kids. $15/hr if I was expected to clean AND take care of the kids.

I would call a nanny agency in your area and ask them what their nannies get paid.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 6:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2010