How many times can a 19 month old hit or fall on his head before it really is a problem?

I think that my youngest son falls and hits his head way to much. He is covered from head to toe with bruses. Doctor thinks nothing is really wrong..however they did a bleeding time test and it was 13....normal is aournd less than 9....they did bleeding disorder test....all came back normal....they did thyroid tests....first TSH was 8...a month later it was normal.....what is up?

PTBAAMom

Asked by PTBAAMom at 1:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Health

• I have no idea what may be going on. Can you take him to some kind of classes, maybe like gym class, improve his balance, help him learn to put his hands out to break his falls, that sort of thing?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Well as to the main question in the subject line...one bad fall is all that it takes to become a serious problem. I agree with the above poster regarding gym classes, etc., to help with the balance. Watch breaking a fall with hands/arms though, that is a leading causing of broken arms/hands, so much so that it has it's own name in the medical world...FOOSH (fall on outstretched hand).
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Have you tried buying him different shoes. I know this sounds stupid and obvious but my first son did this too and it turns out his shoes were too clunky for him and when he was barefoot walking or in socks he'd slide a lot. I bought the soft flexible soled shoes at the mall and he stopped doing it. Also what is making him fall? Is it the corner of your rugs? Maybe its the lack of having a rug that is the issue? Is there an uneven spot on the floor or are there toys laying around that he is tripping on? Maybe if you look closer you'll see there is something specific making him trip. Is he getting enough sleep at night? Being overly sleepy makes toddlers much more clumbsy. If none of that is the issue then asking the doctor for a referral to a specialist might not be a bad idea. Maybe his vision isn't very good and he needs glasses? Maybe he has vertigo and is dizzy...
    Anonymous