I am making homemade chicken dumpling soup for dinner tonight and I normally use the bisquick to do the dumplings, but does anyone know how to do the homemade either noodles or the homemade dumplings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make a fluffy dumpling:
    3 Tbsp. shortening (I use butter), 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 3/4 c. milk. Cut shortening into a mixture of flour, baking powder and salt with a pastry cutter or food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop dough by large spoonfuls onto hot boiling stew. Cook uncovered 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer. You can add 1/4 c. grated sharp cheddar or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley or chives to the dough.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• dumplings are pretty simple. flour water salt. roll them out and cut them up
    Anonymous

• OP HERE I need a recipe though not sure how to do it or how much to measure things like that
    Anonymous

• dumplings mean something different to people in different parts of the country. In the south it's more like a cut up piece of tortilla. The recipie I use is from my grandmother so it's either german or polish ....

2 eggs - beat them - add 1and 1/2 cup flour - 1/4 teaspoon baking powder - 1/8 teaspoon salt - 1/2 c water - mix it together to a smooth consistancy (but pastie) drop by teaspoonful into the boiling soup. They float to the top and puff up. If they are too watery they will fall to bits. So test a few first and if you need to add a little more four. This makes a ton of dumplings, if you have a small batch of soup you may want to cut it in half.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I make a yummy slowcooker stew with dumplings:

1/3 cup cornmeal
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (lots of B vitamins and a nice cheesy flavor)
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg or egg replacer
    2 tablespoons milk (plant or animal)
    2 tablespoons olive oil

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2010