how to stop breast milk?

i have breastfed my baby for 14 weeks and have now put her onto formula! how can i stop the breast milk? my breast are really sore and hard!

sammy2517

Asked by sammy2517 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they are going to be sore and get hard and swollen, but dont press on them or express milk bc that will keep your milk coming. keep cold compresses on your chest and around your nipples bc they will be really sore for a few days until the milk dries up. a trick i used was putting a head of lettuce or cabbage in the freezer and tear off large leaves and put it in your bra around your breast, it stays cold a while. when showering dont let the how water run on your chest or your boobs will explode lol keep your back to the hot water!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• It is very painful but basicly everything secondtyme said is right. .I remember when I had my milk dryin up it seriously looked like I had gotten a boob job. .try sleeping on your back too cause sleeping on your side will make it hurt plus you might leak more
    njstewart07

Answer by njstewart07 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Cabbage leaves in the bra, cold packs, tylenol or ibuprofin for the pain, and keep an eye out for symptoms of mastitis: a hard, sore, maybe warm or reddish area on the breast, fever or flu like symptoms. Mastitis is an infection in a clogged milk duct that really needs to be treated by antibiotics. IF you notice that you may be getting a clogged duct you should apply warm/cold compresses and gently massage the area until the duct goes away to prevent getting mastitis. Slight expression generally won't stimulate the breasts enough to make you keep producing once the baby has stopped nursing, so you can if you really need to express some milk to relieve the pain, but no more than is necessary for relief.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• One other thing. Combination birth control, with estrogen. It's a supply killer. With anything else, expect themilk to continue for as long as a year.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Why do you want to stop breastfeeding? It's best for your baby and for you too. If you are blessed to be given the capability to provide milk, why would you put a stop to it when your baby is so young?
    Anonymous

• Everything everyone said was pretty good and right. Good luck though, it must hurt REALLY bad. And ANON, why stir the pot? She made her decision, it was not yours to comment about at all - she was simply asking for help. Why comment if you cannot do anything but sound negative.
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 7:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• You need to wean slowly... Start nursing again and drop feedings slowly... one per week, replace with a bottle until all feedings are gone. Right now you're risking infection for yourself, weaning shouldn't be painful.

That all said, any specific reason for weaning? Maybe you don't really have to wean?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Thanks for the advise! For anonymous. . . I am a young mum of two and I think I have done really well! I don't need ppl like you tryin to put me down!!!
    sammy2517

Answer by sammy2517 at 4:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I suspect that formula will cause more issues than it will solve

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2010

• sammy2517...I think anon was just trying to be helpful, not put you down. Breastmilk is best, but you need to do what you need to do :). The post I agree with most is to start nursing again and replace 1 feeding a week with formula. You are risking mastitis and plugged ducts, both can lead to horrible pain and possible surgery to repair abcess if they develop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2010