How will I get rid of my "jelly belly" after baby is born?

People say I've been lucky that so far, I've only carried the weight in my stomach, and only gained 16lbs but now that my due date approaches (3 wks) I'm really get worried about all the extra, "saggy" skin on my stomach. I do workout still, even now so other than the obvious (workout, intense cardio, abs etc) what tips do y'all have that helped bring that skin back to "normal" or a close to "normal" as possible. Yes, perhaps I'm a little vain as I'm 23 :) But I'd still like to look good in a two piece...or would that be impossible now? Everyone always refers to their stomach feeling and looking like a 'bowl of jello" and how depressing it is to realize the baby is out, yet the stomach is looking that bad...:( I'm scared.

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• some ppl dont believe this but i swear by it. buy a girdle/corset kinda panty...i bought mine @ walmart for like $15 and u have to buy it a little tight cause thats the point. mine is like a underwear but has the corset up to the stomach and i wore it over reg. panties. We believe it helps your stmach go back to its normal way.
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think it depends on your genes. I know people whose stretch marks fades and they look fantastic in a swim suit. I have other friends that work out all the time and still have a jelly belly (just extra skin). I have a jelly belly, but I don't really do anything to fix it. It all depends on nature I think, or a good plastic surgen (sp)!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• lhernandez how far did it go up? Was it corset style or spanx style....I'm trying that after I deliver baby 2!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• um it was like corset style like it tied in the front wth the little hooks like a bra has in the back.i bought mine the day i got out of the hospital and wore it for like 2 months of course i took it off to sleep and shower..lol...
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I am 4' 10" and before my baby's came I was 110lbs most of my adult life I had 2 children my first was 9lbs and 3oz and my 2nd was 6lbs 8oz I have a flat belly and weight 114lbs I do believe it is all in the genes. I would just wait the 6 weeks and if you have a bowl of jelly then work on the stomach muscles.

Anonymous

• I worked out like crazy after I had my daughter, I'm 5'10" and weighed 150 when I got pregnant, I was somewhat muscular and had perfect abs. By 3 months after I had her I weighed 140-145ish but had the "bowl of jelly" stomach. I must have worked on my abs about an hour a day but nothing helped. I then got pregnant again so I'll have to try again after this one is out but I am not hopeful. My sisters son is 7 now and she still has the jelly belly along with my mom and my other 2 sisters who have a 2 year old and a 4 month old.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 3:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Thanks ladies, and yes the plan is to go back to 2 hours of cardio and day and the 1000 crunches per day I used to do. I'm 4'11 so it's hard to get the "lean tummy" look since I'm not in any way tall or have the lean look. I've just been told by other mothers that although you strengthen up the tummy muscles by workouts etc. there's still loose skin...I'm just a little scared :(
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I didn't have any problem with loose skin after I had my kids in my 20s. You may not be back in a 2 piece this summer, because it does take some time but by next summer you should be more than ready! I'm 5'2" and I didn't gain more than 20 lbs with any of my kids - the weight came off pretty easy and my tummy was back in shape shortly thereafter - And I didn't do 2 hours of cardio or 1000 crunches/day, maybe I just have good genes.

Answer by missanc at 4:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• it's hard. i excercise 1 to 1.5 hours a night. i do cardio, yoga & strength training, mainly focusing on my abs, sides & back. my youngest is 21 months now and my tummy is flat, no overhang or anything. i have stretchmarks up past my belly button though, so i may never wear a bikini again.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree...the saggy skin thing is all just genes. If your skin stretches well and remains elastic, it will likely go back to close to normal on its own. The flab can be busted with cardio. If your skin is not elastic though, there isn't much you can do to change that. They make firming lotions and such, although it's yet to be proven just how effective they are. My stomach didn't have much saggy SKIN at all, but other who gained less than me have lots. It's just a luck of the draw I guess. However, if your mom didn't have the saggy skin thing, there is a good chance you won't either. If she did, you probably will. Stretch marks and skin sagginess is often hereditary for some reason. Like my mom got stretch marks, I got them too. She had no loose skin, I didn't either. If you are an unlucky one, you can get a tummy tuck if you have the money. Good luck.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2010