My daughter broke up with her boyfriend 1 week before prom. Should I reimburse him on expesnses? He is a good guy, my daugher just decided she has no feelings for him and broke it off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would reimburse him. At least for her half. It just seems like the right thing to do. If you know his mom than maybe talk to her and get the money to her to give him. I would also think about having your dd reimburse you! I know that my dd would not like it but it is fair. The dress will be just fine next year! It is not a bad thing to break up with someone if you have a change of heart, but to do is so close to the prom, well, reimbursing him would be nice.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Thats very considerate of you. I think thats a great idea.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I agree it would be a nice gesture. How does your daughter feel about it? Would she pitch in too?

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I do not think it is nessesary. It is not your responsability to pay him back. Why do you need to pay him? What did he buy?

Answer by louise2 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I'm assuming he's bought Prom tickets which can be expensive depending on the school.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• i dont understand what you want to reimburse him for. if he paid for the prom tickets, i would just pay him what one of the tickets cost so your daughter still has her ticket.....

he can still go to prom....it doesnt have to be with her. and she can still go even if they dont go together.

what do you need to reimburse him for? as louise said, what did he buy???
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Thank you for your replies. No one saw this breakup coming. My daughter says she just had a change of heart. We have tried to talk to her about going just as friends, but she refuses. She does not have another date and I am very certain her ex is not going. He canceled his tux rental, this was a $20 fee and he paid for tickets which were $60. I don't want him to feel insulted, but also this was his hard-earned money wasted because of my daughter.
    pawlees

Answer by pawlees at 4:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• i think it's really nice that you would do that. i'm sure he'll be thankful.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Okay, so I would offer to pay for your daughter's ticket still.

It is his choice not to go...I broke up with my boyfriend a week before my junior prom and we both went seperately.

It is great that you are being so nice about this, but since it is his hard earned money and it is HIS prom as well, he shouldn't be the one wasting the money, he should be going and having a good time. that is my opinion.

i know others might think differently. I dont see anything wrong with offerring to pay him the $20 fee for the tux and al the ticket money, but I wouldnt do it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Thanks for the advise, I feel compelled to reimburse him. I want my daughter to give it to him in a card, but I have concerns that she will not follow through. Do you think it's appropriate to send a check? Again, I don"t want him to feel insulted in anyway, I know his Mom is pretty upset, i don't want her to think I am just paying him off.. As for my daughter's dress, well, we cannot return it so I have told her this will be her prom dress for next year!
    pawlees

Answer by pawlees at 4:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2010