is there a law that states how old your child needs to be before you leave them home alone?

hisblueeyes

Asked by hisblueeyes at 3:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes there is. In most all State there is. Call your local police Department and see if they know the law.

Answer by louise2 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I know where I live it's 12 yrs old! Idk if it's just on base of an Alaska law but dd can't be outside by herself until 5 and can't stay home alone until 12. Maybe if you look it up online it might tell you! I have no idea where you would find this out, I was given a handbook when we first moved here with all the rules.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

There's a list of states on the site.. I don't know how reliable it is. Your best bet would be to call your local law enforcement to be sure if there is even a law in your state, and what the age is.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Thanks MrsLeftlane.
    I looked it up and it says there are no laws in my state(Indiana) that say how old they should be.
    I think that is crazy.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 4:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Many states have NO law stating what age a child can be left alone.
    Most states have a "guideline" or "reccomendation" but no actual law.
    My state has no law, just a guideline/recommended age.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• YW! Yeah I just used my best judgment. We started out at 11 with our oldest, maybe an hour, then upped it at 12 to 2 hours.. He's 13, almost 14 now and we can leave him at home for a few hours.. What's funny is he calls us while we're gone.. Asking what we're doing, etc.. Most of the time wanting to know if we're bringing food home,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• in mo there is no age limit, but if your child is hurt then you are held accountable for neglect among anything else they can use against you
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I think its 12 they can be home for up to 4 hours alone, they can watch younger siblings I think its 14, 15 years old for 4-6 hours. ny/pa
    Anonymous

• In my state (Maine) I believe it is 8 or 9 years old! Maybe younger, but I am sure it differs from place to place.
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 7:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Yeah, I wouldn't leave your "pyro" at home especially because he is 6...
    Anonymous