Does the Army have a child limit?

If you are Active Army, does the Army have a limit of the number of children a soldier can have before being released from duty? If so what is it? Please only answer if you are a military spouse, mom etc.

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are different rules as far as this goes. There are restrictions on how many dependents you can have joining, because, frankly, generally you can't support a large family the pay that you earn when you're just starting in the military, among other things.

Also, some branches have limitations on where you can be stationed based on family size, because housing that meets the military standard minimum requirements just isn't available, and because of the cost to the military to move a family of that size. (There are also rules in place for things like you can't take your family with you to certain overseas duty stations if you're under certain paygrades, etc.)

But I have NEVER heard of a rule where they kick you out because you have too many kids. btw - I've had friends in different branches that had pretty large families, and none of them were kicked out. Limited by what I described, yes, but kicked out, no.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I know that every branch of the military has a different limit on how many dependents someone can have going in, but I've never really heard if there are set limits on how many they are allowed to have total. I know that if you talk to a recruiter, they should be able to give you all of that information.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• that is the craziest thing i've ever heard!!!
    i am a military wife and have yet to hear of anyone being released from the military because of the number of children they have. I think it would be more likely (although, i've never heard of this either) that they would only pay for up to X number of dependents (because for each extra child we have DH gets a whole 50$$$ increase in his pay) ...but other then that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I have never heard of such a thing.I know people with 7 children lol...Also some homes have 5-6 bedrooms for large familys where i live...Maybe you can ask a recruiter in your town?OR a military website...military cafemom group or militaryonesource.com
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• Once in the Army, there's no limit to how many you can have. Also, how many you have won't change his pay. He'll make the same thing whether is 3 or 12. He will not be paid any more than anyone else in the same pay grade, nor will your housing allowance increase. Reason being... Junior enlisted pay is NOT designed to provide for a family, let alone a large one.

I got this info from a friend on active duty. But, I'm not an Army spouse or Mom so I guess I wasn't supposed to answer this.

Anonymous

• My husband is in the Army and he says we should get 50 dollars more a year once we add my adopted son to his dependents.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• you dont get more money for more kids, and they dont limit the number of kids you can have, that is just ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• Army- there is no limit on the number of children you have. You get the same amount no matter how many dependents you have. You do not get extra money for having another child. You get paid at either without dependents (single) or with dependents. A married soldier with no children gets the same amount of money as a soldier with 20 kids.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• No, there is no limit, but if you cannot adequately take care of your dependents I suppose it could lead to separation.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I know several with 6 and have known of someone with 8. They don't let you go for having kids. You might have to have a plan set in action though if you seek some sort of grocery assistance more than once.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 6:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2010